Saturday, October 17, 2009

Viva la romance!

This blog post isn't about writing, but it is about falling in love.

Once upon a time, a Committed-to-Being-Single Young Woman was introduced to a Single Young Man. She thought he was cute and seemed nice, so she agreed to go on a date with him. On a Sunday afternoon, they went to a movie at the local art museum. The small theater was almost filled when they arrived, but two seats on the aisle were vacant. "Do you mind if I sit on the end?" he said with a smile. "I'm a bit claustrophobic." She nodded and scooted into the inside seat.

They chatted for a few minutes as they waited for the movie to start, discovering each other's likes and dislikes. But soon the woman became distracted by a little girl who was running up and down the aisle, laughing loudly. Her feet made a persistent ear-ringing clack every time her shoes hit the uncarpeted floor. The annoyed woman huffed out a breath. Where are her parents? she thought with a frown. And why aren't they controlling her?

Suddenly the little girl stopped right beside the Single Young Man. Silent, she gazed at him. The woman waited to see what he would do. Would he fuss at her? Tell her to be quiet and sit down? She hoped so because she was tired of listening to the unruly child.

The man simply reached out and caressed the little girl's cheek. Just one gentle, lovely touch -- and she was gone, back down the aisle and into her seat beside her parents.

The Committed-to-Being-Single Woman's heart melted and a feeling washed over her that she had never felt before. She gave a little gasp and stole a glance at the man. He gave her the most beautiful smile, and she knew.

First date, and she knew.

On October 17, 1981--28 years ago today--they got married.

Happy anniversary to my husband. Seems like yesterday, doesn't it?

12 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, my goodness, that was the sweetest and most romantic blog I've ever read, JoAnn!!!!! Not only fortunate to know he's the one on the first date, but you're talented enough to convey that feeling in such beautiful words.

DON'T MAKE ME CRY EVER AGAIN!!!
:-)

Carla Swafford said...

Almost forgot! Happy anniversary!

JoAnn said...

Haha! Carla, after I posted that blog, I thought "Oh my gosh, today if he did that, he'd probably be arrested for child moslestation!" Sad, isn't it! Later that day, I learned that he was the oldest of six and had already developed some pretty effective parenting skills. :-)

Jeanie said...

Wow, you are one lucky chick-a-roonie! Happy anniversary! I think there's a romance novel there, somewhere. . . Add a little conflict, a misunderstanding or something that keeps them apart before the ultimate romantic reunion and happy ending and you've got a winner!

Callie James said...

Happy Anniversary, JoAnn!

What a wonderful story.

Christine said...

Happy Anniversary! And what a beautiful story.
Our husbands can be our first heroes!

JoAnn said...

Thanks for the ideas, Jeanie! Actually, I've used my husband a lot in my stories already. :-)

Years ago, when I first started writing, I was telling a family member about some of my work. "I've written a children's book based on an incident in Gary's childhood," I said with Gary sitting beside me. "And I wrote an essay that Southern Living bought about Gary's dislike for football, another essay about Gary's persnickityness about the lights on the Christmas tree, and I'm also working on a sexy romance novel." Without missing a beat, Gary said "That's about me too." hahaha!

JoAnn said...

Thanks, Callie and Christine, for the good wishes. We had a lovely night.

In his card, I wrote the URL for this blog post. When we got home from dinner, I watched as he read the post. When he finished, he turned to me and said "Did that really happen?"

Me: "Yes, it DID happen! Don't you remember?"

Him: "Well, I remember that we went to a movie on a Sunday afternoon at the art museum. I remember the name of the movie, but I sure don't remember that little girl."

Funny! I didn't remember the name of the movie. :-)

Cari Hislop said...

Ahhhhh! That's SO lovely!!!! Congratulations!!! My 12th anniversay was the 16th. My husband planned to get up early and sneak out and buy me flowers (he had the day before off as well so he couldn't do it then) only I got up early and spoiled his romantic plans, but we had a lovely daytrip to the beach where the sun came out.
I embarrassed him by taking numerous photos of us in the fish and chip shop. I think he liked it! :)

JoAnn said...

Thank you, Cari. I love it when guys surprise the girls they love with something unexpected -- like your husband secretly liking the pix you took. :-) Some of them really are mush beneath their macho exteriors, aren't they!

Gwen Hernandez said...

Very awesome and well told. Happy Anniversary a day late! :-)

JoAnn said...

Thank you, Gwen!