Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

Many of us are thinking back on "9/11" today, remembering that horrible day that even now—8 years later—seems like yesterday. My clearest memory was sitting in the car with my son, saying, “This is big. No matter what we do, we’ll never fully recover from this loss because it happened in our own backyard.”

This statement feels true to me still today. My son was only 11-years-old on 9/11. Just last night, he called me from California where he’s training in “desert conditions.” He spoke briefly about his issued gun, body armor, and Army friends. He wanted to let me know he wouldn’t be able to reach me for two weeks due to specific training.

On days like today, this starts to really sink in.

My son will be going overseas in November with his comrades—young men and women who were only in grade school when 9/11 happened. God, has it been that long? Still, as a mother, from the bottom of my heart, I hope he doesn’t find himself in a position to sacrifice what so many heroes sacrificed on 9/11 or since then.

We write about fictional heroes and heroines every day—people we sacrifice for the sake of a good story. But when we suffer the loss for real, it hits us hard and it’s impossible not to feel. Even now, I tear up thinking about it. If you have any special memories or loved one serving in some heroic capacity today, I’d love to hear your story. God bless.

12 comments:

JoAnn said...

I just remember being so numb and dazed. Nothing seemed real.

God speed to your son.

Stern Rake Studio said...

I retired from the Air Force in 2003. I was working out in the gym early that morning, just like I did every other morning. Except on this day I watched the attack unfold on TV. I felt utterly helpless--and bitter, since our job was to protect this country and our fellow Americans.

Best wishest to you and your son.

Sincerely,

Ted

Carla Swafford said...

Though he didn't die on 9/11, I always think of a friend of mine's son who died in Iraq four years ago. To read about him you can go to http://www.ilovemytroops.com/alex.php

I remember him as a little boy, so cute. Such a lost.

Callie James said...

Thanks, JoAnn. He's already talking about reupping so I may have to get used to this.

Callie James said...

Thanks, Ted. I think seeing it all unfold on TV was the worst. Helpless.

God bless you for your service to our country.

Callie James said...

Wow, Carla. That was so sad. He sounded like a true sweetie. What a big heart.

So sorry.

Christine said...

We were in DC. I blogged about it--DH was on his way to work when the Pentagon was hit. His office overlooked the site. My DD was in 2nd grade. A lot of parents went to school to pick up their kids--they were afraid. But I knew she'd be safe. It took DH 3 hours to get home. I lost contact with him and we knew there were 2 more planes out there.

That night, my neighbors milled around our house. The sky was, for once, so quiet. No planes few overhead. And we were on an international flight path.

I'm so grateful to men and women who are still continuing to fight for our freedom. Callie, I will pray for your son. And Carla, my heart aches for your friend who lost her son and for all those who continue to sacrifice the ultimate for our freedom.

KELLY FITZPATRICK said...

Thank your son for his service.

Callie James said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story, Christine. You were nearly in the heart of it.

The one good thing produced from that hell was the brief, rare solidarity of this country. It was truly something to behold.

Thanks for the prayers.

Callie James said...

Thanks, Kelly. I'll tell him next time I speak to him. He said he can't walk into a store without someone stopping him to shake his hand and thank him for his service. It's wonderful to witness. :)

M.V.Freeman said...

My brother in law is serving in Afghanistan. He was in Times Square at a recruiting office when the towers fell. He will never forget.

I have friends that serve, and are overseas.

I have the utmost respect for all that take that step to join the military.

May we never forget those we have lost and those we will lose and why it is so important that they do their jobs.

Thanks for the blog Callie, and I will pray for your son.

David Farr said...

A very sad day indeed especially when we look back at the pictures and videos and still have so many questions. How did World Trade Center #7 fall that day? 6 hours after the two towers exploded and collapsed, the 3rd building fell that day (WTC7). Research that and the events at the Pentagon and Pennsylvania...