In the past few weeks I've come head-to-head with something I've never had to face before in the years I've been a writer. As more people discover that I write romance, there is one prevailing question that is always asked: "How do you come up with the material for those scenes?" And it's almost always followed by a lascivious eye-wiggle.
So, I've come up with some responses just suitable enough for the smart alek who asks it:
1. With a cigarette and a smile.
2. I'm heavily into method research. I'm a hands-on kinda gal.
3. Why? Did you want to borrow my manual?
4. Strip poker. But, for those menage scenes? Naked Twister.
5. What scenes? The murder scenes? I usually just kill off the people who ask stupid questions.
6. *Question: "Why do you want to write that?" Well, the immaculate conception story was already taken, so I decided to think outside the box.
...and my favorite so far...
7. *Question: "What does your husband think?" The new head of Research & Development? Oh, he's enjoying his promotion quite well, thanks for asking.
Aren't I a stinker??