Sunday, August 02, 2009

Thank You

I'm calling this an appreciation blog. I want to put a shout out to my husband, David, for being such a strong supporter of everything I do in pursuit of a writing career. Some weeks we rarely see each other because I work fulltime and dedicate the remaining time to some sort of writing project. Seriously, it's nonstop. I fear one day I'll walk in the door and he won't recognize me.

But does he complain? No. Never. Not once.

Like many, I go through a doubting ritual at least once a week. But I never go through it alone. When I'm exhausted and curled on the floor in a fetal position--my doubt demons doing a Snoopy victory dance around me--it's without fail that I'll hear David say yet again, "You are a great writer, honey. Keep at it. It'll happen." That alone would be enough, but his support doesn't stop with this weekly vote of confidence. In addition to a fulltime job, he does all of the yard work, the majority of the house work, helps with the laundry, and even makes macaroni and cheese on occasion, all to keep my butt in the chair writing.

I notice each one of these gestures, these sacrifices, and it's time I give him a big THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART for the whole world to see. He is ultimately the hero I write about every day. He is MY hero.

I'm so blessed. I love you, sweetie. (Yes, he reads my blogs too.)

Who is YOUR strongest supporter in this writing biz? How do they show it?

7 comments:

Christy Reece said...

Lovely post, Karen. David is a jewel and a sweetie!

My sweet hubby is my number one supporter. He's always done more than his share around the house, but lately he's doubled it. On top of his normal yard work and working full time, he's added laundry, dishes, vacuuming, dusting and even an occasional grocery store run. Though it's best if I to to the store since somehow we end up with lots of 'little extras' he just thought we might want to try.

There is no one happier for me when something good happens in my career and no one who is more supportive when things don't go as I hoped. He is most definitely my hero.

Christine said...

Your sweetie sounds amazing! My DH is also very supportive as is my DD but I wouldn't be where I am today without my original CPs in Fairfax, VA. I am blessed!

Karen Beeching said...

Oh, Christy. Your hubby sounds wonderful. How did we get so lucky?

Yes, Christine, what would we do without the CP's? David also acts as that for me (he is an unpaid copy editor, truly). He is an avid reader of all genres, so he's got a great eye and catches that stuff I can't after 20 edits. :)

Cari Hislop said...

What a lovely post! Your hero sounds absolutely fantastic! I can say that without being jealous because I adore my Goblin. (goblins are misogynists who fall in love and get sucked into romance-land never to escape...he he he...) My hero is very supportive too. He'd rather I stayed home and spent all day writing than go out and get a job.
He's my dream man only better!!!!
I haven't been able to have kids so during the day it's just me and my brain children. When I read about other people needing to steal half an hour to write it makes me love him even more!

Karen Beeching said...

You're right, Cari! Don't ever give him up. What a gift to stay home and do what you love.

Misty Wright said...

Great post, Karen!

My hubby is wonderful as well. He does the yard work (I help sometimes), he has been caring for the kids, laundry (he washes I put away). We do lots of things together and with the kids. He is a wonderful supporter of anything I want to do. Which I am for him as well. That is what a marriage is all about. Helping each other along lifes long roads and always having someone to support you every step of the way. :)

Diane Richmond said...

Karen, I know what you mean. The other day I received the results of a writing contest (I didn't notice until after I entered that published and non-published authors were judged together).

I told my husband that I feared that I was a much better reader than writer. He looked at me with shock and said with utter conviction, "I'll never believe that. You are a great writer." Unfortunately, he has never read an entire manuscript that I have written, just excerpts. Still, his faith in me was just what I needed at that moment. I am humbled by his love.