Friday, July 17, 2009

Unexpected Productivity

I awoke at 0345 a.m. It was dark, the drum of rain fell softly on the roof, echoing the creak of the ceiling fan. In the living room down the hall I heard the plaintive meow of my cat, wandering the house. Beside me, my husband breathed evenly, and I envied him. I knew my children in their rooms slumbered on. It was a perfect time to slide right back into the deep comfort of sleep.

Except I was wide awake.

Every nerve ending felt like it was bouncing on high energy. I could not find a comfortable spot in the bed, nor retrieve some hazy dream to drift back to. I was ready for the day. Except it was 0345 in the morning! I'd only been asleep for four and half hours. I needed my sleep. I can get by with six hours, seven is better, eight to ten hours is ideal. Anything less and I'm pretty much as pleasant as a cat thrown into water.

Worse, why couldn't I be this wide awake when I have to get up for work?! (I think it's an internal denial of the inevitable).

What is a person to do? What I did, is finally get up in all my snarky glory and lurched to the living room, made some coffee and dragged out my lap top. After fiddling around on nothing for a while, I started doing what I should have done: Revising. I even managed to get a chapter done.

That was an unexpected bonus--being able to have quiet time to just wrestle through with my story. Unfortunately, I did pay for it...by 2 p.m. I was wondering if I could reinstate afternoon naps for my eight and eleven year old!

Now, I am actively looking for places in my life to get more quiet time to get my writing done. Where do you find your writing time? Does it come unexpectedly?

Now I am hoping I can have a weekly "early rise", but I am afraid, after reviewing what I did the night before--I drank very strong coffee at 5 p.m. I'm not sure I want to have to do that every week...*sigh*

6 comments:

Debra Glass said...

All I can say is thank goodness for grannies! When the kids are out of school, it's nice when Granny asks to keep them. I got 6 pages written yesterday.

Karen Beeching said...

Oh, I've had this happen more than I'd like. I guess we can only take those quiet moments as we get them, right? The minute we plan for them, all hell will break loose.

I'm thankful to have more quiet time now that my son went into the Army and has started his life there, but it's never quite enough, is it?

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Debra,
Grannies are the best! My mom came for two weeks in June and I was able to finish my draft because of her. :)

Congrats on the 6 pages!

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Karen,
I agree, planning for them and it does go all the hell! :)

Congratulations on your Son's entry entry into the Army! As they would say: Huha! (My husband was in, and I was in the reserves so I really have a lot of respect for his choice).

And true..no matter what there never seems to be quite enough time to get your writing done. :)

Sherry Werth said...

3:45..uh, no. I am not a morning person and even if I did get up, there would not be a coherent thought in my head! Hubby is a light sleeper and if I got up he would wake up, want to know what's wrong, was I sick, etc. He would probably get up too and well...there you go. Inspiration and productivity down the tubes. Or in this case, mattress. My best option would be stay in bed and count cute little fuzzy sheep jumping over the fence. (LOL)

M.V.Freeman said...

Hey Sherry!
You make me laugh!!! You are far more productive than you think!