Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Mark of a True Friend

The other day I met a friend for coffee. That day I took more from the friendship than I gave. I spent our entire time together moaning about the fact that my not very mechanical husband had decided to change the air conditioning compressor on my truck. Did I mention that this was my truck--the first new vehicle I had ever purchased?

He didn't ask me if I wanted him to do it. He just stated he was going to be doing it the day I was away at our chapter meeting. In shock, I didn't express my reservations about this announcement for fear of emasculating his budding macho self.

I felt real physical pain as I watched him take the grill off my "baby" and it slipped towards the pavement. I can only describe the anguished moan that escaped my lips, as akin to that of a mother bear with her foot caught in a trap. Nothing good could come of this I told myself morosely. During the day, the progress reports proved me correct.

Again, I called my friend for support and encouragement. We discussed what was more important--the truck or the husband. It was a close call, but the husband won. Barely, but he won. As we hung up she realized I was still upset. Her parting words showed she was a true friend. She brightly offered, "I'll help you hide the body if you kill him." This, is the mark of a true friend. I think I'll keep her, the husband and my truck with the fixed air conditioner. I am a lucky woman!

9 comments:

JoAnn said...

You are, indeed, a lucky woman. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

You know, there's a book in there. :-)

As they say, you know you have a good friend is when you're in jail and you can call her for bail in a moment's notice. But a true friend is one who sits next to you and exclaims, "Damn, that was fun!"

I meant what I said. Hugs.

Diane Richmond said...

I am, indeed, a lucky woman. Thanks to two of my best friends. You're the greatest.

KELLY FITZPATRICK said...

My husband insisted that I wanted him to climb some rickety scafolding to limb a tree that blocked my view. I shook my head and told him I had a long list of things I wanted done, none of which involved him climbing a tree with a chainsaw. Coming home from work, he had all of his limbs, but the scafolding did colapse onto my flowerbeds in the process. I was supposed to be happy he didn't get hurt. My backyard looks like a post-apocolyptic wasteland, but if I stand on my deck, lean out over the railing on my tiptoes, I can see the mountains in the distance.

Karen Beeching said...

That is such a good friend! You are blessed.

Christine said...

I think you are very lucky to have such a great friend--and glad the husband didn't wreck the truck! And yes, that would be a great scene in a book!!

Cari Hislop said...

What a lovely husband! You have to give him a big star for trying. He must love you very much to brave looking like an idiot in his attempts to help you!!! I'm now wondering if you husband's love language is "Service". If you've never read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman I highly recommend it...it's brilliant!

Louisa Cornell said...

Diane, what a great story! You are definitely lucky in your friends and in your husband!

You know what they say "A friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move a body!"

What is it about men, especially men in the South that makes them they can fix anything mechanical? They just don't seem to understand that the fix it gene does NOT come standard on every male! However, the "very apt to screw something up" gene comes on every model to ever come off the Lord's assembly line! That's why God also gave all women the "Ability to overlook moments of sheer idiocy and destruction producing hubris!" gene!

I am very fortunate in my friends as well. And I know at least three or four of them would help me hide a body! And couple of them would write about it!

M.V.Freeman said...

LOL! I understand your feelings exactly.

And what a gift...you have a true friend! :)