Monday, July 27, 2009

Editing Hell

I'm in the midst of editing hell. What is that you ask? It's where you've read your book so many times you're tired of it.


Each day as I'm writing my book, I go back a page or two and edit plus remind myself where I left off. Then after I finish the whole thing, I read the book and try to catch the little boo-boos plus tighten some of the writing. And then I give it over to my beta readers.

When they give it back to me, I make the corrections I feel are needed and add or take away any scenes that are necessary. Then I read the book outloud. It's amazing the things you catch that way. You can get a feel of the book too.

Then my book goes to my critique partners. They catch all the stuff I or the betas missed or where I made a lot of changes after the betas had read it. It's only the last two books I've written that I had beta readers and it does help in making it a little easier for my critique partners. For I am horrible about leaving out words or using the wrong one (like form instead of from or worst instead of worse). Those who had to read my emails understand perfectly as I rarely edit those. LOL!

Then after my critique partners do their thing, I'll often read it again. I can tell you, I'm well and sick of the book about halfway through this process.

What's your process to edit? Are you like Linda Howard and once you're finished writing there is no more editing?

7 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

I WISH I was done with a book once I finished writing it like Linda is, but I am not.

Currently, I have to drive through a rough draft and then go back and revise and edit.

At the moment I still like the book, in about a week or two, it may be another story.

Carla, good luck with the edits! :)

JoAnn said...

I wish you had time to take a break from it, Carla. You'd feel so much better about it.

It's kind of like a parent dealing with small children. When you're with them day in and day out, dealing with all the little nit-picky, boring, infuriating, annoying things, it's hard to feel a lot of love for the little monsters. But spend some time away from them, and oh-my-goodness, you just can't wait to get your arms around them. :-)

good luck!

Karen Beeching said...

I hear you, Carla. I tend to write a chapter, revise, revise, revise, polish, revise, polish and then start a new one. I will then go back and revise several more times while I'm writing the new one. Eventually, when I can read it out loud and it has that rhythm, what I recognize as MY voice, I can say I'm done with it until later.

When I finish writing the whole book using that method, I read the entire thing front to back and edit. Then I print it and do the same thing (at this point, I could throw it against the wall I'm so sick of it). THEN after that edit, I give it to a reader. Fix it and polish after that and only then can I finally say I'm done (only because I know if I ever sell the darn thing, I'll have to read it several more times and fix it yet again). YUCK!

Good luck!

Carla Swafford said...

I'm there with you, Mary. One time and done would be great.

JoAnn, such a great analogy! They are our children too.

You're right, Karen, YUCK!

Jeanie said...

I'm a tweaker. Every time I sit down to write, I go back to the previous chapter or what I've written the day before and re-read it and tweak as I go. When I prepare something to send to my writer's group I tweak it again. By the time I'm "finished" with a chapter I've tweaked it seven or eight times. I get pretty sick of it too, Carla, but I can't seem to help myself. I'm in tweaker hell.

Jeanie said...

I'm a tweaker. Every time I sit down to write, I go back to the previous chapter or what I've written the day before and re-read it and tweak as I go. When I prepare something to send to my writer's group I tweak it again. By the time I'm "finished" with a chapter I've tweaked it seven or eight times. I get pretty sick of it too, Carla, but I can't seem to help myself. I'm in tweaker hell.

Diane Richmond said...

Surely you jest. I work my books to death. I keep telling myself that I should write it, edit, and then bless it and send it on its way. Somehow that never happens.