Saturday, July 25, 2009

Book Report


A few weeks ago, I hit yet another roadblock with my ms. After resorting to all sorts of tactics to try to get back on track (eating lots of chocolate, forcing myself to write, eating more chocolate, telling myself it was okay not to write, eating more chocolate...), I finally realized that the reason I was stymied was because I didn't know my characters.

So I pulled out this book.

Needless to say, I didn't count them, but it really does look like there are 4,000 questions listed.

And also (needless to say) I didn't answer every single one for my characters. But looking at just a few of them really made me think about my heroine and what her background is; what her hopes and dreams are.

Here's a sampling of the thought-provoking questions.

What is something your father or mother considered very important?

Who do you trust more than anyone in the world?

How forgiving are you when someone lets you down?

I now feel like I know my heroine pretty darn well. We may not be best friends yet, but we're getting close.

5 comments:

Karen Beeching said...

Oooh, sounds like a good book. Out of all of the people I've met in my life, I can only say I truly know maybe ten very well.

Definitely something to think about (with chocolate, of course).

Christine said...

That looks like a great book for the writer's bookshelf. I took a class where the first few weeks we answered questions like the ones in the book as part of developing our characters.

I think I know about 5 people really well. A lot of people would like to think they know me, but not many do.

M.V.Freeman said...

OOh, I need that book!! I'm struggling with my new hero. *sigh* He's sort of nebulous.

Ug.

But this book looks absolutely like a "must"!

Thanks Joann!!!

Carla Swafford said...

It's funny but I know my heroes inside and out. But the heroines don't interest me and sometimes I forget to flesh them out. I'll have to check out that book. Goody, another book to buy. Me love books. :-)

Diane Richmond said...

Two very dear friends and I had a writer's retreat. We did an exercise where we were asked questions about our characters and how they would react. Surprisingly enough, this was very effective. I have used it ever since, whenever I get stuck.