Friday, June 05, 2009

What Will It Take to Turn Plan C Into Plan A?

Today, I watched as six people at the magazine I work for lost their jobs. As the rumors began to swirl this morning with the first layoff and with each one afterward, I was sure I was next. I even began to gather my belongings in one spot on my desk so that my exit would be swift.

I have had a Plan B since last fall, when the massacre --er, massive layoffs began. We lost more than 100 people between October 23 and December 23. I realize that in the big scheme of things that doesn't compare to what GM is doing or what AIG and other huge corporations did. But you know what? Even if it it's just one person begin laid off, it still hurts. It still scares the shit out of me.

But today I found myself thinking about Plan C. Which is my writing. A tiny glimmer of possibility fluttered around with the butterflies in my stomach. What if I lost this job? Could I really, finally focus on my writing enough to make it work? To make it my work? That shiny little thought kept me going through the day.

I am still employed as of this writing. And when we heard that the last people had been notifed and that there would be no more --today--we all breathed a sigh of relief and I felt the spark flicker and die.

Monday, I will be back at my desk with my nose to the grindstone, thankful that I have a Plan A job. Until perhaps, the next day. Maybe the spark of possibility will come back. Maybe it will become Plan A.

9 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm so happy to hear you have a Plan C. If you can manage it, I say go for it when the time's right!

JoAnn Ross asked her husband to give her a year to become published and at the end of that time if she didn't, she would return to work. And the rest was history as they say.

Christine said...

JoAnne, I am so glad you are okay and have a job, but I can imagine how painful today was for you. To see your friends, colleagues, lose their jobs must have been very difficult.

Plan C sounds great, but for now, Plan A is a good one--helps pay the bills!

We all need many backups--I go through the same mental shenanigans when life looks uncertain.

Keep writing -- the dream can't end if we keep bouncing it in the air! We revise our books all the time, how wonderful that the process has taught us to constantly "revise life!"

Hugs to you on this day!

Louisa Cornell said...

I like that, Christine! Revise life! I have had to do that a couple of times. It is scary and intimidating and more often than not NO FUN!! At least the process isn't fun. The results might end up being great!

As I am the sole bread winner in the house (I leave for work each day and day "Mama's going to make dog food money. Any of you want to volunteer to go in my place?" I get blank stares from the cats and tail wags from the dogs. No takers.) I have to keep this plan A job until I can make enough money at writing to support us. As I am currently supporting this flea circus on what I make at Wal-Mart I wouldn't need a HUGE book contract to jump the Wally World ship!

BUT, until I do I just keep working toward plan C and surviving plan A. Hope I get to skip from A straight to C. I hope we ALL get to do that.

Hang in there, Joann! Your Plan C is coming!

Christine said...

Louisa, if anyone can make the leap to PLAN C, I believe you can! I hope the next level arrives soon for you!! Wally World isn't a dream job, I'm sure. I've had my share of lousy jobs, but fortunately, I haven't had to put on pantyhose or a uniform for work in a very long time and I am mighty aware of what an amazing blessing that is for me.

I can't wait to meet you in person now that you can go to the meetings in Bham! I am hitting the June 27th meeting. And I'm excited!!

Karen Beeching said...

I think it's great you keep your mind open to change. We really never know what's going to happen from one moment to the next.

I have held on to Plan C for twenty years. Still doing that Plan A thing. And I still hope. No one can take that away.

JoAnn said...

Carla, thanks for your kind words. I wish I thought I could do what JoAnn Ross did. :-)

JoAnn said...

Christine, I love "revising life." That's the perfect analogy. Thank you for the hugs!

JoAnn said...

Thank you, Pam, for the encouraging words. You've certainly had some major revisions in your life, haven't you! I hope I can handle my revisions as well as you have. :-)

JoAnn said...

Karen, you are absolutely right. No one can take hope away from us.
Thank you for reminding me!