Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pop, Dad, Daddy, Papa, Father, Padre...

Okay, with today being the day to honor dads of all shapes and sizes, I have just one question: Who is your favorite fictional father figure?

From TV, my hands-down favorite is Andy Taylor, from The Andy Griffith Show.

I haven't read a lot of books with strong father figures in them -- the books I gravitate toward tend to be child-free.

But I'm open to suggestions and recommendations.

And Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there who support their daughters and wives in their writing careers.

:-)

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I love Andy Taylor. Every child should have a dad like him.

George Banks (Steve Martin) in Father Of The Bride (1 & 2). He wanted his little girl to have the best of everything.

Can't think of any good dads (except for one or two in my books) that I've read. Probably will days from now. LOL!

Louisa Cornell said...

Andy Taylor is tops with me too. And I loved Steve Martin in both of the Father of the Bride movies!

There are a couple of Dads in historical romances that are real winners.

Teresa Medeiros wrote a book called Charming the Prince. If you get a chance read it. The poor father has so many children (because any child left on his doorstep he claims as his, hence his awful reputation.) He sends his man out to find him an ugly wife so that she can rein in his wild children.Ugly because he doesn't want any more kids. It's a great story and he really is a terrific dad.

Dain in Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels fights being a father all the way, because his father was HORRIBLE! But once he meets his son all of it goes away and he becomes determined to give his son the kind of father he never had. Another great story.

M.V.Freeman said...

Well, that's tough. The only think I can think of is:
Saetan SaDiablo (I think that's the name)
From Anne Bishop's The Black Jewels, trilogy and subsequent books.

He's a smidge dark...but what the heck. :-)

Anonymous said...

ok