Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Passion and Obsession

Dictionary.com describes passion under number six as a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything: a passion for music. While obsession under number one is the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

I was thinking of this the other day when I was listening to Michael Bolton’s MY SECRET PASSION. His passion is opera. I don’t know a lot about opera but I do know because of his CD I’ve come to love it very much and have since bought a couple more opera CD’s. But they’re not my passion.

My passion is for books. As soon as I could read, I read anything with horses in them. So I read all the typical horse books (BLACK BEAUTY, KING OF THE WIND, FLICKER) and moved on to cowboys and their pintos, and finally knights and their steeds. Then I discovered romances. My passion bloomed and grew larger.

Before I knew it, my passion turned into an obsession. I started writing and now I eat, drink and live writing. If I were to lose the ability to write or read, I know I would roll up in a ball and die. I love how you can read a book and laugh, cry, be afraid, and turned on (though rarely all at the same time). I want my books to affect people like that. I love how one sentence can make you feel good all day by simply thinking of a few words. I’m amazed by how I can type one word after another until I have a complete book with living breathing people whose lives I’ve shaped into a plot and the-way-life-should-be HEA.

I hope and pray one day soon my obsession turns into a published book and people find their passion in reading it and the others I write. Oh, yeah, I'm passionately obsessed.

10 comments:

KELLY FITZPATRICK said...

Someday your prince will come, I mean, your editor will come. Keep on writing. Like you have a choice.

Kate Diamond said...

Okay. I snorted milk through my nose as I saw that you were discussing passion and obsession.

Don't get me wrong. Your post was very nice. But it reminded me of a conversation I once had back in high school. Most of my friends were guys, and they were always asking me weird dating questions.

My favorite: "What is the difference between stalking and courting?"

Oh, dear.

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! Thanks, Kelly.

Carla Swafford said...

That's what I'm here for, Kate, humor in the early morning hours. :-)

Peggy Webb said...

Carla, what a lovely blog! After all these years (25). I am still passionate about creating characters I love and putting together words that make me sit back and catch my breath with the wonder, the magic of writing. With your kind of passion for the printed word, you'll make it.

My other passions are my family and friends, gardening, playing piano, choral singing, reading great books and, of course, my cute, funny Lhasa Apsos.

M.V.Freeman said...

Carla,
You hit it on the head...passion and obession. I can't go a day without writing or reading something. I think of them always.

Yes, there is my family, but there is that eternal longing that is writing and reading...

It is a bittersweet feeling (especially after a critique!)

You WILL publish!

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, Peggy, my dad and his wife have a Lhasa Apso. Everytime I visit she's there to greet me, tail wagging. She's such a doll. I've decided when I quit traveling so much, that's the type of dog I want.

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Mary.

Suzanne said...

You deserve to be published soon, Carla.

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Suzanne. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time. I hope you sell lots of short stories and more.