Monday, June 15, 2009

My Permanent Record

I started blogging over a year ago for several reasons. I wanted to practice and perfect my writing. I wanted to become more comfortable with revealing my thoughts and words to people instead of just showing them to my sister and best friend. And, later, I liked to "Google" myself and see "Naima Bryant" pop up. Self-centered, I know, but it's the truth. I also found out through my chapter that agents and editors often "Google" the writers who submit to them, so that was definitely a plus.

But, it wasn't until today that I realized another reason to blog. It's a record of a journey.

I searched back to my first blog and began reading forward. I saw hope and encouragement. I read great expectation, faith and fear. I discovered determination, disappointment and laughter. I saw victory.

I read moments in this past year's journey where I experienced a stumbling block that at one point made me question why I bothered doing this at all? And, then faith lifted me to my feet, dusted off my knees and reminded me it wasn't what I saw in front of me, but what I hoped and dreamed for that kept me going. I laughed as I remembered how family could make you insane and grounded at the same time. I studied the comments and found myself thankful for the friends and fellow writers who provide encouragement, kind words and even a reality slap when called for.

Today, I read where I was this time last year and thanked God not only that I received an offer on a manuscript I submitted, but I praised Him for the journey. Because I can look back and have a permanent record that with perserverance, faith, support and laughter achieving dreams is possible. And only the beginning.

6 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Okay, now to learn self-promotion, Miss Modesty. Go back into your post and add "Hello, people! I'm a contracted author now and be on the look out for my book!!" LOL!

Karen Beeching said...

That's right! I think getting rid of the humble thing is the most difficult.

Self-promotion time, missy!

We're all so happy for you, Naima!

Christy Reece said...

Yay, Naima! I am so thrilled for you!

Christine said...

Naima: I met you almost a year ago--you had arrived to my first ever Southern Magic Meeting about the same time as me. You were so wonderful and kind. Then you were so funny. Everyone was going around the table sharing their good news. When your turn arrived, you started sharing amazing news (like you'd gotten a contract, finaled in the GH, etc.) and then you said you were kidding--but had to because you were following all the other "news" given that day.

Well NOW YOU HAVE NEWS!!! I am so excited that my first writing friend in the southern writing chapters has her first contract! Geez, I hope you are at the the SM meeting on the 27th so I can give you a HUGE HUG and tell you THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME HOPE!!

Diane Richmond said...

Your fellow bloggers celebrate your first contract and look for great things to come from you.

We couldn't be happier for you, Naima. You give us all hope.

M.V.Freeman said...

Naima,
May this only be the beginning! May it only get easier!