Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother’s Day

I’m so thrilled about the gift I gave my mom today and I just had to share. I sent her a signed copy of Christy Reece’s debut novel, Rescue Me. I was so proud to send her this book, not only because my mom is an avid romance reader and I know she’ll love Christy’s book, but because this is my friend’s first published novel and I was MORE than excited to share this wonderful moment with my mother.

I started thinking today how lucky I am. I met so many of Southern Magic’s published authors when they were exactly where I’m at in the writing process, I was fortunate enough to witness their CALL , and now I get to share in their triumphs and sometimes their anxiety as they continue on with incredible writing careers. Sharing in these stepping stones, no matter how small or large … it’s just an awesome feeling and experience. I’m so thankful to be a part of such a great group. Makes me want to twirl around on a mountain top and sing The Sound of Music at the top of my lungs. Badly, of course, because I can't hold a tune.

I know … I’m just being a big sentimental mound of mush today.

I love you guys! Have a wonderful Mother's Day, everyone! :)

9 comments:

Christine said...

Happy Mother's Day! I just bought Christy's book and I am so excited to read it. Her happiness at all the meetings and on the SM Loop is contagious! I am thrilled to see her name on the cover.

Have a wonderful day.

Christy Reece said...

Okay Karen and Christine, you have me in tears. Thank you so much.

I'm so grateful for my Southern Magic family and so appreciate the love and support. What a group of giving, beautiful and talented individuals you are.

And Happy Mother's Day to all moms! I'm headed to see my mom in just a few minutes! And I'm taking RETURN TO ME as one of her gifts. LOL. Hope she likes it...I can't take it back.

Carla Swafford said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, Karen.

Diane Richmond said...

Karen,

You are so right. I love the pleasure of telling my sisters, "Here is a book from a friend in my writing chapter. I know you will like it." Happy Mother's Day to you, Karen and all my other Southern Magic friends.

Christine said...

Now I am sniffing! BTW, Christy, when I get down to Bham for a SM meeting in June, I hope you are there--I want you to sign my book for me (it might be well loved due to reading into the wee hours of the morning by then!!).

Happy Mother's Day!
Christine

M.V.Freeman said...

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Karen, I am with you, I also feel blessed to have seen and celebrate the next step of fellow writers who step out into the publishing world!

Congrats again Christy! (and yes, I shamelessly have my book, which I am so hoping you'll sign soon...:))

May everyone have a treasured moment to remember today!

Louisa Cornell said...

What a great Mother's Day gift, Karen. It really is the coolest thing to walk onto the book aisle at Wal-Mart and tell someone "This is a great book. My friend, Christy, wrote it." I'll have you know I "pimped" every copy of your book on the shelf at our local Wal-Mart. They sold out. I had to grin when I walked into the break room and saw not one, but two of my co-workers reading it!

My copy is sitting there waiting for me to finish submitting my queries and get my page count done so I can read it!

And I didn't have to buy the book for Mom as I told her about it last week and she got it herself. So, I sent her a DVD of Australia for Mother's Day. Hugh Jackman AND Christy Reece - what's not to love?

Louisa Cornell said...

Happy Mother's Day to all you Southern Magic Mamas!!

Christy Reece said...

Karen, Christine, Diane and Louisa, thank you so much!

And yes, Christine and Mary, I will be thrilled to sign your copies. Thank you so much for wanting it signed...and for having one to sign. (o;

Louisa, thanks for your help at Walmart. I need all the help I can get and yours is so appreciated. And LOL, just having Christy Reece and Hugh Jackman in the same sentence is enough to give me a glow and much needed inspiration!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day!