Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two years ago, my sister decided she wanted to teach history with a concentration on the Irish culture. She was told she didn't have the money to go back to school for her Master's Degree. It would take too long to finish, why bother? Or, my personal favorite, why Irish history when you're so obviously not, Nefertari? Well, next year she will begin her student teaching and she's travelled to Ireland.

At the beginning of this year, my mother decided to enter a race. She was told she weighed too much and her knees were too bad. Last Friday, she completed her first 5k in under an hour...not to mention she's dropped over twenty pounds!

A friend of mind started writing two years ago. She was told after twenty years as a nurse she couldn't just decide to become a published author. There were people who had been writing for years and hadn't accomplished publication! Well, three weeks ago, she signed her first contract.

Three very different scenarios and women, but all share one common theme: Perseverance. They persevered in spite of the odds and the naysayers, keeping their eyes and focus on their goals. They didn't deviate even when they struggled and labored. At times the roadblocks seemed insurmountable and the circumstances overwhelming. But, they continued to press until they attained that goal.

Writers cross all age, race and economic groups. We come in different sizes, personalities and voices. But, we all persevere. Like when we tell someone we're writers and we receive that look that says, "Yeah, suuure". After the sting fades, we write. Or when our manuscript is rejected. After the haze of chocolate and ice cream clears, we settle back in front of the computer and write. Or when we receive rave reviews on our book and nerves start to kick in about whether or not we can do it again, we press through the fear and write.

We press. It's what we do. It's a choice we make. We persevere.

8 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

Naima,
I so agree! :) What a beautiful way to describe perseverence--in the face of naysayers.

Choices and what we do defines us.

Excellent post!

Karen Beeching said...

Well said, Naima. As usual. Pressing on!

I love hearing those success stories. And it's true, you have to follow your heart no matter what anyone says.

Christine said...

I totally agree! Naima I am so proud to know you and can't wait to give you a hug in person for YOUR awesome news.

Now back in the writing saddle for me--hi ho hi ho--

Diane Richmond said...

You're right. Perseverance is the key. Refusing to accept defeat and the stubborn determination to succeed at something with little encouragement is what separates the winners from the losers. It takes guts and gumption.

Press on!

Christy Reece said...

Incredible post, Naima and so on the mark. Each person has their own journey to make and the ones who persevere are the true successes.

From one of my favorite movies, Galaxy Quest: Never give up; never surrender!

Okay, now I'm ready to write!

Carla Swafford said...

Bravo for your mom and sister! And congratulations to the newbie writer.

Louisa Cornell said...

What a fantastic post, Naima! And something I really needed to hear. I intend to keep it and read it every time I think I want to give up on this writing thing. Your Mom and sister are an inspiration.

Raise your glass to those of us are just too darned stubborn, convinced, determined, talented and or crazy to quit!!

To quote Winston Churchill "When you're going through hell, keep going!"

Kate Diamond said...

Thanks for the inspiring post. I spent all day grading bad essays and then wrote a bad chapter for my book.

I was feeling pretty crummy until I read your post and realized, "Hey, at least I WROTE. I'm trying..."

So thanks.