Monday, April 20, 2009

Alpha, Beta, Omega: I Do Love Greek

Yesterday morning I caught the last hour of The Chronicles of Riddick and hopefully someday I’ll have time to see the whole thing. What I especially enjoyed was the interplay between Riddick (Vin Diesel) and Kyra (Alexa Davalos). Talk about alpha personalities.

That got me to thinking how alpha males really need an alpha female for their love story to work. Sure I’ve seen alpha males with beta females but the guys come across as bullies. Of course, in the midst of the story if the beta female finds an alpha side (usually protecting her child or man), then that’ll work.

And the same with beta males and alpha females, the females will be considered bitches. That can become rather interesting if the guy grows some big’ums and goes Rambo on the bad guys around her. She would back off then. Hmmm.

I guess that means to me the alpha-alpha pairing is easy to write. The alpha-beta pairing would take some fancy writing to make the story work and keep the reader from hating one or both of the characters.

What do you think? And what the heck is an Omega personality?

12 comments:

Christine said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Alpha-Alpha makes for interesting conflict!! Beta-Beta? Too much trying to get along? Omega? No idea!

Great pic!!

Karen Beeching said...

Alpha-Alpha is great to read because ultimately they work with each other and that's the magic. In real life it tends to be a different story, ha!

Good points!!!

Carla Swafford said...

Christine, I was thinking about my blog on the way to work this morning. I believe omega might be the metro-sexual male we hear so much about. A mixture of both (Alpha/Beta) or a vanilla sex. Maybe I'm totally off but who knows. Just sounds boring to me. LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

Karen, you're right. Uber-alpha males are sexy on paper, but way too intense in real life.

Lynn Raye Harris said...

I don't know how to write anything but an alpha male. :) My heroines are strong, but I don't know that alpha describes them. I'm not writing kick-butt heroines, so it's harder to pinpoint. Wouldn't that be hilarious -- a heroine who kicks some major ass in a Presents novel? LOL!

My editor would scream. And not in a good way, ha.

I love alphas. So intense, sigh....

Louisa Cornell said...

Alpha plus alpha you just KNOW the fireworks will follow. However, I think in my current WIP my heroine starts out as a beta and BECOMES an alpha because (a) she has no choice and (b) she decides she really wants the hero. The hero, however, is Alpha all the way and fell for the Beta version of the heroine. The Alpha version he's not so sure about.

I have no idea what an omega is - the girl or guy nextdoor maybe?

M.V.Freeman said...

I loved the Riddick Chronicles..appeals to my dark side all the way..and the hero..yum.

Carla, you have tossed out some interesting thoughts. I prefer Alpha males, to read and to write. As for females, I like strong ones, and if they start weak and then get strong all the better (Louisa, I'd read your book! ;)) Although, I don't like the uber strong females than it tips the balance too much for me.

As for Omega...*sigh* If its weak, forget it..LOL

Cari Hislop said...

As Omega means the end, I think an Omega-man must be the dead hero who fails to win the herpoine...I hate those books!

I don't usually like to read or write Alpha male heroes (I think of them as chest-thumpers). They just seem so plastic to me. I prefer heroes that are like real men you meet every day. Not every man can or needs to be "Alpha" to be sexy or a hero. My husband makes me laugh; he's not very fit, but he's so smart (he's my hero). When he comes across Alpha males he generally runs circles around them...and leaves them thinking they've been the leader when in reality it's all been an illusion!

Carla Swafford said...

Lynn, I love alpha males in books too. So delicious.

Carla Swafford said...

Louisa, I read a Harlequin once where the hero was a beta and when he realized he would never get the girl if he didn't change, he made himself over and POW! She noticed him. They fell in love and, boy, was she surprised to realize he was the geeky man she'd ignored.

Carla Swafford said...

Mary, Omegas are up in the air.

Carla Swafford said...

Cari, that's an interesting thought. Certainly something to think about.