Friday, March 13, 2009

Take Me Back

We all know that words have power. Once spoken, they can never be taken back, but the written word also have the ability to do something more. When crafted properly, they can evoke memories of people and times from our past.

I recently read Kelley St. John's Flirting with Temptation. It had all of the heat between the hero and heroine that we have come to expect in her books, but it also did something else for me. Her delightful descriptions of her grandma and Babette's elderly coastal friends took me back to all the times that I had spent with my own grandmother and aunts. I was transported back to when they were alive and I saw myself in the heroine's place, enjoying all those shared times together. The fact that she was able to inspire those memories is a credit to her writing ability. For just a moment, I was transported back to a time when I enjoyed the warm-hearted humor of my Nana, while suffering the brunt of her mischievous nature as she did things for "my own good". She gave me unconditional love and I miss it.

Thanks, Kelley, for bringing back those fond memories while giving us a good read.

3 comments:

Karen Beeching said...

I love those books that hit us like that. I just started To Catch a Cheat!

Can't wait!

Christine said...

I loved To Catch a Cheat. Must read Flirting with Temptation. Great post and reinforces why we write.

M.V.Freeman said...

I adore books that evoke images I can relate to. I may have to pick that book up, thanks Diane. :)