Friday, March 27, 2009

Mm-mm, Good!

Psalm 34:8 declares O taste and see that the Lord is good. The psalmist is saying we have to try--to experience--God in order to discover how really good He is. I experienced a "tasting" of my own last week. And, boy, was it good!

All around me my chapter members and critique partners have been submitting. Whether it's been to editors, agents or contests, they've been getting their work out there. Me? Well, not so much...okay, not at all. A little over a year ago, I submitted my manuscript to an editor and never heard anything back. For this particular house, a year or more isn't really unheard of, but my expectations were delivered a blow when I didn't hear back in the time frame I expected. Don't I have a lot of nerve?? But, I moved on, shoved that manuscript to the side and didn't submit again.

Recently, I had the opportunity to dust off that same story, revamp it and...that's right. Submit. At first, I dredged up every excuse why I couldn't do it. There's too much to change in such a short amount of time. I can't write a good synopsis. Derrick's drinking on Grey's Anatomy and I have to see if Meredith's going to drop him. Yeah, I stopped just short of the kitchen sink! But, I prayed on it. I wrote. Prayed. Wrote. And soon, the first three and last chapters, synopsis and cover letter were submitted to an editor.

It felt awesome! Unless you've tasted the sweetness of accomplishment and snacked on the succulence of success you're probably asking, what's the big deal? Here it is. Once you've sampled the excitement and satisfaction of pursing your dreams and stepping into purpose, your heart is stirred. You can't return to that stagnant place of watching instead of becoming . Your appetite to realize the things hoped for but not yet seen is whetted. Whether your steps are strides or leaps, you continue in the pursuit of your dream because success lies just on the other side of that "no". I'm learning that as long as I'm moving forward, never remaining still, the size of the movement doesn't matter. Small steps may take me longer to arrive at my destination...but I still arrive.

So, submitting a manuscript may seem small. But, so is a mustard seed. And look how huge the tree is that grows from such a tiny beginning!

12 comments:

Louisa Cornell said...

YAY NAIMA !! That's right. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again!

What an inspiring post. I often think the only thing scarier than failure is success. Sometimes we make every excuse in the world because something in us KNOWS this is the one and it scares the stuffing out of us.

This is not a business of quick success (not often anyway.) And sometimes we may think we aren't going anywhere because the movement is hard to detect. But, if we do even one thing per day to pursue our goal that is a step in the right direction!

Sending positive thoughts and prayers chasing after your submission, Naima!

M.V.Freeman said...

Awesome Naima,
You go girl! Keep Submitting! (Hey, you're inpsiring me to submit!)

A mustard seed....I love that visual. :)

Christine said...

Way to go! I am now officially inspired to dust off my rusty querying skills and submit the third ms after I polish it up a bit more.

My target for spit and polish and then submit/query is April 24!

Now you all can make me accountable :)

Christy Reece said...

Naima, congratulations on resubmitting that manuscript! Just because you never heard from that publisher doesn't mean you won't, but you can't wait for them. You have to keep going.

And submitting a manuscript is never small. I think that's one of the scariest things to do, but it's also one of the bravest. Putting yourself out there is frightening. Never submitting is even scarier because it's giving up on your dream. And you can't EVER do that!

Diane Richmond said...

Naima,Is this the publishing house you talked about in the meeting yesterday? You go girl!

Diane

Naima said...

Hi, Louisa!
Thanks for the positive thoughs and prayers!! The really cool thing is either way it goes (I'm not putting limits on what comes out of this. Whatever come, I'm believing it will be to my benefit!), I'll have PRO status, which was one of my goals for this year! So, by getting off my rump and moving forward I'm knocking some milestones down!

Naima said...

Hi, Mary!
You can thank my pastor for that visual! Looking at the size of it and then seeing how huge the tree is that grows out of it...it's an awesome thing! And, I'm keeping faith that my "mustard seed" will produce and grow like that!!
So, go on and get something submitted! Look at me! I finally do something and now I'm telling others what to do! hee-hee-hee!

Naima said...

Hi, Christine!
April 24th! You will now receive periodical emails requesting progress reports! LOL!

Naima said...

Thanks, Christy!
You are so right! I never want to look back years from now and say fear kept me from even trying to pursue this dream. Part of the reason I'm excited it because I see a movement and it feels awesome!!

Naima said...

Hi, Diane!
One and the same publishing house! Thanks for your words of encouragement here on the blog and at the meeting! I don't know if you remember, but in the last meeting you told Debra Glass that I was a great writer. And I don't think you realize how much that meant to me. It was encouraging at a time when I so needed it. Thank you again...so much!!

Naima said...

Okay...forgive me for the typos! I'm typing so fast that I messed up...oh...a few times!! LOL! But, you know what I meant, right??

Christine said...

I can't wait for you to get PRO!! We'll be on the LOOP together. Wahoo.

I'm reading through my third MS and realizing just how flippin' clumsy some of the elements are during the first 10 pages. AACK attack... these things are never finished. But at least we can tweak them to our heart's content.

CROSSING FINGERS AND TOES FOR YOU.