Thursday, February 19, 2009

Did You Have Lunch Today?

I get a handy email from Publishers Marketplace called Publishers Lunch. It’s free and packed with info. If you don’t get it, click here and sign up.

Anyway, in today’s Lunch, they gave us a small piece of a Poet & Writers' interview of three editors. The question was “When you look at the industry, what are the biggest problems we face now?” Two of the three had interesting answers, but the most interesting was the editor who believed a first book could be reviewed by three major papers/magazines, and they still would not bring in sales.

Of course, this is only my opinion, knowing how in the past most of the books reviewed in such publications are the literary types, I’m not surprised. Now there’s really nothing wrong with liking/reading a literary book. Reading’s reading and we need everyone expanding their minds. But I personally don’t read them as the majority end unhappy or with nothing solved. I tried so many and always felt like I wasted my time.

Every book I read must have a little romance. Then I feel like I can connect with the characters even if the woman is too wimpy or bitchy or the man is too beta or a big ass.

Oops, I got away from my point of this blog. In regards of not bringing in the sales, I wonder if they realize when times are hard, people don’t want to be reminded of other people having a hard time. They want to feel like love can make it all possible. Romances do that for me. If I’m depressed, I pull out an oldie or buy a new one I think will do the trick.

So my question is, not what you think, what special hook makes an automatic buy for you? When it’s a Harlequin, it’s a cowboy. Yeah, I’m one of those. If it’s a historical, it’s a sexy medieval set in anywhere but Scotland. If it’s a contemporary single title, it’s a spy.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Historical: anything regency with a rake of a man born to be tamed by the amazing heroine .

Contemporary: laugh, love, great sex, happy ending

Paranormal: oooh, amazing sex, and oh, yeah, happy ending

Oprah books are too high brow for me. I read one that was depressing from beginning to end.

I don't want to be depressed when I read. I want to escape. And if the hero reminds me of Hugh Jackman,Viggo Mortensen, Christian Bale... well... mmmm... all the better.

Carla Swafford said...

Christine, I'm all for escaping!

M.V.Freeman said...

I read and write to escape. Heck, I'm with you Carla, reality is what it is--reading is where good always wins.

As for me, the hooks that get me are Alpha Heros, funny, but real heroines (they can't be too strong or bitter unless it is written well and that's hard), or good vs. evil (good wins).

Paranormal is my favorite hands down. Fantasy is next, then maybe suspense.

(I'm with you Christine, I cannot read-or write- a book that has me walking away depressed, UG!)

But, I'm ALWAYS open to new authors, no matter what genre...!

Christy Reece said...

Give me a dark hero/heroine, a whole lot of angst, sensuality, a need for redemption and everlasting love and I'm hooked!