Friday, February 27, 2009

The feel of a good book

I love the feel of a book in my hands. Walking into a home library with books stocked floor to ceiling on shelves is more intoxicating to me than the finest wine. It doesn't matter if it is a new beach read, a venerable leather bound antique or a much used and loved favorite; their power over me is palpable.

When asked what I would first buy if I won the lottery, I wouldn't hesitate--a house with a library big enough to warrant one of those cool ladders that move on a track around the room. So then, how do I reconcile that with the growing trend of e-books? I suspect that they are the wave of the future. I believe that our grandchildren will read more books via e-publishing than the hard copy, standard type books that we know today. This saddens me. I love the feel of a book in my hands, while I am propped up in bed with a nice cup of Lavendar Earl Grey tea. Somehow, the excitement is not the same when that is contemplated with a PDA or viewer in my hands. In addition, I would never be tempted to read in the bathtub after a long day faced with the possibility of dropping my PDA in the water like the library book that I baptized last month? I suspect not. This doesn't even begin to address how hard I find it to read off a computer screen.

I was lamenting the potential demise of the bound book as we know it at the breakfast table this morning. Trying to cheer me up, my husband informed me that they were in the process of developing a reader that had pages that looked like a book and even looked like a book on the outside. I guess my comment to that is much like the guy on the commercial who says: "If everyone compares their car to a Toyota, why don't I just buy a Toyota?" So..., if it looks like a book and feels like a book, why not just buy a book? Hopefully the time will not come that the cost of publishing a book makes owning books for only the truly wealthy. If that were the case, I would then have to buy 2 lottery tickets each week.

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm with you, Diane. Having that paperback or hard back book, turning the pages means a lot to me. I enjoy e-books too, and maybe one day I'll by a PDA or whatever to read them, but all my favorite books need to be in paper.

Christine said...

I like holding a book in my hands at night and in the bath... I doubt I'll ever feel comfy reading a kindle in the tub!

M.V.Freeman said...

Diane,
I agree, I would mourn greatly if the book ever dissapears...but you know, I don't think it will.

There is nothing better than having that book in your hands, the feel of the pages...and...well you know how it is.

Lets face it, we writers and readers are bookaholics...what a wonderful addiction!