Monday, February 23, 2009

A Challenge

There are many ways to spur creativity. I cannot tell you how many books I have on my bookself that are meant to encourage the muse and to inspire one to write. There are different ideas, maybe its free form writing for five minutes (writing non-stop about anything). Perhaps it is describing a childhood incident. One of my favorites is taking a sentence and then creating a paragraph from it.

I am issuing a challenge, I am going to write a few sentences and I would like you to take one and write a paragraph or a few sentences just for fun. See if it does help. I will take one and write my own paragraph at the bottom of this blog. HAVE FUN!

Sentences to choose from:
  • What do you use to threaten a vampire when death is no longer an option?
  • Viola hadn't meant to start the fire, but now it was too late.
  • The rules were written on the walls outside of the community, barely legible and almost forgotten.
  • He lived for the hunt, until the day he became the hunted.
  • There is a moment right before darkness when twilight reigns and the doors between this world and another open.

So which will you choose?

I choose sentence # 3, :

The rules were written on the walls outside of the community, barely legible and almost forgotten. Sarah tried to read them, but all she could make out was the first one, "Never arrive alone." She laughed to herself, thinking it all old foolish myths from the past and walked through the arch way into the gated community. She never noticed the eyes that followed her, or the whispers that passed along the wind.

Fresh blood had arrived.

So there it is, please, take one of the sentences and write something! Anything! This is for fun, and to encourage the writer within.

I am looking forward to this.......

8 comments:

SaturnMoonie said...

Oh this is fun!!!

I choose sentence #2

Viola hadn't meant to start the fire, but now it was too late. She grabbed the unconscious man from the ground and pulled him outside of the burning house. Moments later, she saw the ceiling begin to collapse. Viola stared at the burning house. She had done it again. When will she be able to control her powers!? And would anyone believe her this time when she said it had been an accident?

M.V.Freeman said...

SaturnMoonie,

oooh, that was a good one! How do you like it? As a reader I am intrigued. :)

I love this type of exercise, it spurs my imagination reading other people's creative efforts.

Thank you!

SaturnMoonie said...

I loved doing it. And I've been thinking about what I wrote all evening. Hehe. I want to keep writing it.

I love reading other people's creations. Especially when they use the same sentence. It's amazing how many different directions one sentence can take.

Too bad more people didn't do this blog. :(

People, do iiiit. It's fuuuun! :D

M.V.Freeman said...

You should write more, I want to read more of what you wrote! LOL

I also hope more people do this...It is fun to see what people do. :)

SaturnMoonie said...

Oooh don't tempt me! I need to stay focused here. I'm currently working on something and I'm trying really hard not to get side-tracked. Even though, I sorta already did last week when I started a new story. But the voices wouldn't leave my head! Now that I got some of it down on paper, I can go back to my main WIP. :D But I'll remember this post and one day I'll come back to it and work on it. ;)

M.V.Freeman said...

Very good! This was the whole purpose of this particular blog post. :) Onward writing....LOL

Sherry Werth said...

I'm late but posting anyway! :D
Sorry MV, but darn it, I just couldn't help myself!!!

What do you use to threaten a vampire when death is no longer an option?

"Death is not an option, but you...you will pray that it will come. Before this is over you will beg for mercy. You will plead for this horrific worse-than-death-like sentence to end. You will want to rip your ears from your skull.
For eternity you will be forced to listen to the Oooh-hoo-hoo-hoo song. You know the one. The girl with the nasally voice. Salt..vinegar..sugar...or something. Yes! Yes! I feel the beginnings of your discomfort. I sense your fear. And now.....the torture begins.
"All I want to do ..... oooh, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo".

M.V.Freeman said...

Sherry,
That is hilarious! Thank you!, I needed the laugh.

:)