Thursday, February 12, 2009

Always My Valentine

As Valentine's Day approaches I can't help but think of the times in my life when love blindsided me. Many people don't believe in love at first sight, but I'm not one of them. I know how it is to stare into a person's eyes and experience that initial punch in the gut. Immediately followed by a free fall that can only mean one thing--I'm forever lost. This person will always have my heart.

Acceptance. Trust. Sacrifice. For the first time in my life, someone looked at me and accepted me with all my faults and idiosyncrasies. And it was okay. More than okay. Because they loved me in spite of. But, the miracle was their love didn't leave me the way they found me. Because of them, I became a better person--a person worthy of the adoration and trust in their eyes. Through them, I discovered the true meaning of sacrifice. Sacrifice is more than going without so the one you care about can have. Sacrifice is decreasing so another can increase--being less so another can be more. Their dreams became my dreams; their pain mine, as well as their joys. I knew a connection that declared no matter where our roads may lead us, they will be a part of me and I, them.

Two times in my life I experienced love at first sight. On November 8, 1999 and June 22, 2005. The days my son and daughter were born. And, they will always be my valentines.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Awe, I love your post! So sweet. Your children are blessed to have you as their mother.

I know what you mean. I feel the same about my daughter. It's a love I can't explain to anyone who isn't a parent.

I hope you have a very happy Valentine's Day.

Karen Beeching said...

The first time I looked at my son, I cried. That moment was the first of many when I would cry from happiness.

Happy Valentines Day, everyone!

M.V.Freeman said...

I agree Naima, There is something powerful and humbling when one looks on their children for the first time.

I think that describes love perfectly.