Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Taming of The Shrew

Like most writers I enjoy a hot alpha hero with a bad reputation and a badder attitude. But there’s a new boy in town. He’s the "good" boy that's gone wrong. He's a new type (or resurgence like some prefer to say) alpha hero popping up in books lately. He does all the right things, have parents who love each other, go to the right schools, have the right jobs and make some righteous money.

But along comes the new evolved alpha heroine. Yeah, you heard me. ALPHA HEROINE. She didn't have great parents, or go to the right schools. She might or might not sleep around. If she does, she chooses the guy and the time. Most times she has no need for a steady man and when one catches her eye, he has to own a bigger brass pair than she does. Some might call her a bitch but it's because she knows her mind and others don't know how to take her. She’s successful on her own terms.

When you have a good ol’ boy and the bad ol’ girl get-together, fireworks are certain. It’s a bit like the Taming of the Shrew. (Love that story – the most recent version is my favorite teen flick, Ten Things I Hate About You.)

Yeah, it’s a different world out there and we love writing all about it.

What are some of your favorite twists on character types?

And now for one of my favorite scenes from the movie and in remembrance of the man, we lost him a year ago today...


5 comments:

SaturnMoonie said...

I love Taming of the Shrew, and I love 10 Things... And that's one of my fav. parts too. :) :( so sad.

Suzanne said...

My favourite scene from a lovely film.

Heath Ledger is sadly missed.

Carla Swafford said...

I also love the scene where she backs her car into her sister's boyfriend's car. "Oops!" LOL!

Karen Beeching said...

Clearly I need to see this movie (I haven't yet!).

M.V.Freeman said...

Taming of the shrew is one of my favorite stories as well. But I also like Beauty and The Beast type stories as well...what can I say..I like the conflict. :)

Never saw this particular Heath Ledger film.

Thanks for sharing Carla. :)