Friday, January 16, 2009

Creatures of Habit

It seems like the New Year brings on moments when we become introspective. Many of our blogs lately have been about self awareness and self improvement. This blog, indirectly, is one of the same.

Have you ever noticed that we tend to return to the same seat each month when we attend a Southern Magic meeting? In fact, when I go somewhere in a car or bus with other people I always return to the same seat. What's up with that? The answer is easy. We are creatures of habit. We take comfort in knowing that we are in "our" seat. It is familiar, we know how the rest of the room looks from this vantage point, and lo and behold the same people that sat next to us last month are probably sitting there this month. It feels good, it feels normal and we're comfortable. When someone inadvertently takes my "place" I feel momentarily uncomfortable.

Now, this is where the self improvement comes in. If, I apply the same principal to writing for the same amount of time each day, then this should become routine too. It seems simple. I will be more ten times more productive because, after all, I am a creature of habit. What do you think?

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I think that's a great idea.

:-)

Carla Swafford said...

I'm all for routine. Enjoyed the holidays, but there's something to say about the hohum days of all the same. So yes, I alway more productive during those times.

M.V.Freeman said...

I agree with Suzanne, it is an excellent Idea.

I think that developing a writing habit is far better than other habits I've come across. :)