Monday, December 15, 2008

Writing the Wrong Way.

I've written 35,000 words and realized I wasn't being true to myself. Ouch.

Have you done that?

I was writing away, painfully, something that I thought "editors" and "agents" and those mysterious "others" would like to read. I was not writing what I liked..but by stars I was going to finish it.

After reading Karen Beeching's blog I realized what I had done--I squashed my inner voice that was telling me "Hey you dolt, this story is not working because you are not writing it correctly!"

It took a writing partner who has been working with me for the last 10 years to tell me gently, humorously, and truthfully--"This is not you".

I agreed.

Now, before I ramble on incoherently, you may ask, what was I writing? I was writing a romance, paranormal specifically. Problem is I don't write romance...oh, I read romance, I like it in my stories, but I don't write romance focused stories. I write suspense and adventure paranormals--ok, its called fantasy. I have to have an element of creepiness along with fully developed characters. Oh, I know you can do that in Romance, but the way I was approaching it was just not me --and you could tell.

That realization took the wind out of me.

I also breathed a sigh of relief. I finally understood why I was dragging my feet, why my hero was two dimensional, and the secondary characters were not fully fleshed out. Worse, I couldn't get a handle on my heroine. She was a voice that you could not relate to (I know I couldn't) who had no reactions other than, "oh!"--boring!

Now I am starting from this point on (right at 35,001) and finishing the story but in the style that is me. I am listening to that inner voice.

Are you?

A side note: I finally have a website, it's a work in progress (especially after what I just wrote), but if you are interested here is the link: http://www.mvfreeman.com/

10 comments:

Christine said...

I wrote an entire book that started off one way, and ended up quite different because I listened to too many voices and mine wasn't fully developed. It took moving and slogging through the MS again for me to realize that I needed to get back to my original idea, but keep the good advice inserted. A long painful journey to be sure.

But it is the journey that makes it fun, too.

Back to the writing...

M.V.Freeman said...

The journey is fun! But I have found it quite painful. I believe they call it "Developing Character" and "Growing as a Writer".

Still...where are those bandaids when you need them?

Congrats Christine on continuing to move forward! :)

And yes...back to the writing.

Christy Reece said...

Sounds like you are definitely finding your voice.

Congratulations!

Sherry Werth said...

It's funny MV, but I knew when I started reading the blog it was going to be your blog. I've heard you mention your interest in paranormal/fantasy several times during our conversations. Write what feels right to you.

Now I'm going to check out that new website. :D

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks Christy,
That means a lot. :)

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks Sherry,
What can I say, I love paranormal...LOL

Let me know what you think of that website.

(And how is your writing going?)

Carla Swafford said...

Great job on your website, Mary!

Christine said...

I love your website. Very dark and dreamy looking.

Christine said...

I love your website. Very dark and dreamy looking.

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks Christine and Carla!
:)

I am glad y'all liked it!