Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year House Cleaning for Writers

Time to clean house...

Figuratively, because I don't want to disturb the deluxe condos the dust bunnies have created. I do plan to throw away my procrastination, whininess (I do keep a small jar of that up in the cabinet, to examine on really bad days), time wasters like spider solitaire (the death knell for writers everywhere) and negative thoughts.

What will I keep? My accomplishments. This year I have:
  • Managed to complete my first face-to-face pitch (and not totally blow it)
  • Finish a partial and send it off
  • Received a rejection (Hey this is important too!)
  • Wrote half of my book and realized it was all wrong (Plot and character flaws)
  • Replotted the darn thing
  • Started writing again.--Twice

Yes, I realize that I did a lot of back tracking (like re-plotting) when I should be moving forward. I've learned a lot this year, so I want keep the good things out in the open, dusted and shiney up on the mantel--Things like my focus, surrounding myself with supportive people, perseverence, and humor.

What have you learned this year? What will you keep, what will you throw away?

4 comments:

Karen Beeching said...

I learned I can start and finish a book in two months when I take my own deadline seriously.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...this could take a while. LOL.

I need time with my supportive friends to keep me sane and writing.

That I can't do it all and shouldn't kill myself trying. Instead, I need to relax more and have fun doing what I love to do...write. :)

Misty

M.V.Freeman said...

Karen, that is just awesome!!! I think I will take on your idea and get it done myself.

You rock!

M.V.Freeman said...

Misty,
I totally understand!

I really hope that you get that this year, it's been a wild one hasn't it?

Keep writing :)