Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The holidays are the easiest time of the year to describe as a writer. All of us can draw on family traditions that evoke warm feelings, fond memories and happy times spent with family and friends. Sure, holiday time can be hectic. We all try to do too much to enjoy this time of year, but I for one, think that the effort is well worth it.

This year the holiday season is going to be difficult for many families struggling with hard economic times. That doesn't mean that we must stint on those traditions that are meaningful to us. My husband and I were recently reminiscing about our earliest traditions and the talk gradually turned to the new traditions that we have adopted since we moved to Alabama. Challenged to come up with my current favorite holiday ritual, I offered without hesitation, "Standing in the freezing cold,watching the hokey holiday parade in downtown Florence, made up of every decorated fire truck in the tri-city area and waiting breathlessly for...not Santa, but the dogs and puppies from the animal shelter, being led down Court Street with bright red bows around their necks and hopeful looks in their eyes." It just doesn't get any better than this!

What's your favorite holiday ritual?

3 comments:

Christy Reece said...

Oh Diane, that's a wonderful ritual. The last part made me cry. I wouldn't stand a chance against those furry little creatures with hopeful looks in their eyes. Everyone on my Christmas list would be getting a furry gift this year!

My favorite ritual is really weird. Years ago, during a Christmas visit, my husband found an old sombrero in my mom's attic. He put it on and started dancing and singing that old song, "Cisco Kid was a friend of mine." And it's been a holiday tradition since then.

I roll my eyes every year and act like it's the stupiest thing on earth, but I wouldn't want to go one year without it. Traditions are so precious, even or maybe especially, when they're silly.

Carla Swafford said...

For fifteen years, I would stand on the sidelines of our little town's parade and wait to see whichever child of ours marching in it (in band or dance). I loved it. Then my girls grew up and we haven't been the last two years. So sad. But it wouldn't be same if I did.

Another tradition that had lost its fun is decorating the Christmas tree. The girls would help decorate, putting those special handcrafted items on the tree. Well, for the first time in thirty-four years, my husband put up the tree, decorated it and even place lights on the front porch railings. WOW! A miracle! Why did he do this? He was expecting our grandson to show up. LOL! So maybe we started a new tradition.

Diane Richmond said...

That's the best thing about holiday rituals--they constantly evolve. You both have great traditions.