Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yes, I'm Thankful!

Woe is me, is the often heard complaint in these hard economic times. That is especially true when your day job revolves around the real estate market. Friends are losing their jobs, finding that their companies are closing and faced with the prospect of looking for employment during the holidays when retail operations aren't hiring. Certainly that news is bleak and a cause for alarm when bills loom on the horizon, but we still aren't nearly as bad off as many in the world.

I am concerned about the lackluster economy but I have a respite when things seem too bad. I can sit down at my computer and work on my manuscript. For a few hours I become lost in my plot. I am living the lives of my characters and concentrating on their emotions. I am impervious to what is happening in the real world and have stepped into theirs, embracing the details of their existence as if it were a lifeline. I find I write best at these times. I realize that it is an escape mechanism, but unlike chocolate, there are no calories.

Somehow, when writing like this, I begin to relax and when I am finished, everything is in perspective. I realize that I am healthy, I am privileged to live in a wonderful country where women are treated equally with men, I have food to eat, family I love and friends nearby. My life isn't so bad after all! I am thankful.

Maybe that is the reason that we are challenged. It's pretty hard to remember how well off we are when we don't have anything to compare it with. So, I say to all you political pundits, preaching doom and gloom--start writing a novel. Maybe, you too, will find perspective.

5 comments:

Crystal-Rain Love said...

"Maybe that is the reason that we are challenged. It's pretty hard to remember how well off we are when we don't have anything to compare it with."

Words to live by.

And, yes, writing is a great way to escape. Now if only I could sell enough books so it could be my only job... (-;

JoAnn said...

Great post, Diane. And very timely for me. Every day, more people are laid off at my company. I don't know when it will hit me, but it's coming. And you're absolutely right. We do have it so much better here than in some other parts of the world.

Carla Swafford said...

Same thing for me, Diane. I've accomplished so much in my writing because my job is so slow.

Naima said...

Amen, Diane! I'm about to sit down and get lost right now! Great blog!

Christy Reece said...

Well said, Diane!

And getting lost in what you love is a blessing in itself.