Thursday, November 13, 2008

Things I've learned This Week

I like to learn, I hate to study. Sometimes that is a combination that lends itself to some painful lessons.

Here are a few things I’ve learned in the last week or so I’d like to share:

  1. I can safely write at least 1700 words a night. This is doable. Now I have no excuses! NaNoWriMo has really helped me with this.
  2. I'm surprised to see that my story is turning out to be a single title—actually that depends on the time of day sometimes my story is not a single title because I’m convinced I’ve written too much drivel. (Today it’s drivel, tomorrow something else)
  3. Which leads me to this little truth: My inner critic never really shuts up. It can mumble at times, but it still lingers, much like a bad fungus. I know one woman who named hers Edgar. I think I’ll call mine Herman or Snot….
  4. I've also learned that there are people who can walk faster than I run. (Ok, so I trained to run a 5K. I did it, but really, there was no room for pride here. I had ten year olds and at least one seventy year old out run me).
  5. I finished the 5K….so that means…I can finish the darn book.

    What truths have you learned lately? Good or bad?

5 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I CAN write three books in one year. Still freaks me out.

M.V.Freeman said...

And you should be proud! Way to go Carla!

Christy Reece said...

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. I knew that part, but what I have to remind myself is, if it were easy, it wouldn't be nearly as worthwhile.

Christy Reece said...

Oh and congratulations, Mary, on doing so well on Nano and for running a 5K!

And to you, Carla, for writing three books this year. Woohoo!

Awesome, ladies!

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks Christy!
:)