Sunday, November 09, 2008

Deadlines

Now I’ve done it.

I entered two manuscripts in the Golden Heart this year, knowing I would have time to make significant changes to both (I had an entire month ahead of me after all).

Shortly after I sent in my Paypal and registrations for the Golden Heart, my health failed. Emergency surgery put me in bed for at least a week, unable to do anything but sleep and heal. Since then, I've looked at one of these manuscripts and realized I couldn’t save anything from it except the first chapter. Wow. Now I’m suddenly in my own self-imposed book-in-a-month race, and I’m slowly losing my mind from the stress of it.

The bad news is—I have to admit I'm a bit of a wreck, desperate for sleep and peace of mind from this constant creativity that I can’t seem to turn off. Yes, it needs to shut off so I can sleep at least four hours.

The good news is—I’ve realized I can write again. I found my voice in my last book and in rewriting this current book (I’ve done a polished 40,000 words in two weeks), the ideas come quickly, the pace stays constant, and I’ve rediscovered my love of the craft. I’m in love with this new book and I'm thoroughly enjoying the process of finishing it.

I now realize I work best with deadlines, and I have to tell you it was a shock to discover.

How do you do with deadlines? Do you focus and write better or does your creativity come to a halt?

4 comments:

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Karen,
So sorry to hear you were sick! Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like the writing is going well, and that's great news.

I do better with a deadline, even though I hate having a ticking clock hanging over me. But, it does help me focus, stay up late, get the pages/rewrites/revisions done, etc.

Good luck in the Golden Heart. Three entries!!! Wow, girl! You rock!

JoAnn said...

Congrats on getting back in the groove, Karen! That's wonderful news. I'm so glad you're feeling better and writing again.

Good luck in the Golden Heart!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Karen, hope your feeling much better. So happy to hear that you're having trouble turning off that creativity. Treasure it!

Yes, I do much better with deadlines. Just finished with one and am working toward another one. Deadlines focus me. With all those characters inside my head, screaming to get out, I need that focus!

M.V.Freeman said...

I hope you are feeling better!

I find deadlines have given me a much needed kick in the pants!

I hate that you had emergency surgery, but I celebrate the return of your love of writing.