Monday, November 03, 2008

The Big Push

I feel like I am a runner in a marathon or a swimmer on the last lap, desperately trying to call up my inner reserves and give the last big push to win the race. I foolishly thought entering the Golden Heart would be a piece of cake. My book was finished, so I did not foresee any problems. He, he, he! What I have learned is there is a huge difference between having your book completed and having your baby exactly as you want it. I mean, I certainly don't want anyone looking at my manuscript and catching any typos, plot errors, senseless words, or heaven help me, being bored because the story did not flow. What began as a simple contest entry has turned into an editing marathon. I have been working my fanny off to get my chapters edited to perfection, so that I can send my book with pride and know if it does not place it was not because of my lack of editing! What I have learned, from this yet to be completed experience, is that you are not even closed to finish when you write the last words of your novel! Keep your fingers crossed. I am on chapter 16 with 8 left to edit. I sincerely hope I make it!

2 comments:

Christy Reece said...

You'll make it, Julie. Just keep plugging away. And trust me on this, you'll never feel like it's perfect. There will always be things you'll wonder if you should have changed or said differently. But you have to let go and then move on. The next great story is waiting on you to tell.

Good luck in the GH!

Karen Beeching said...

I'm right there with you, Julie! Except I have two! Yikes!

Hang in there and best of luck!