Friday, October 24, 2008

What Do Men Want?

Karen is having surgery today and asked me to fill in for her on the blog. We’re thinking about you, Karen, and keeping you in our prayers.

As I probably mentioned before, I enjoy Stephen King’s articles in Entertainment Weekly. His humor, intelligence, and plain ol’ horse sense always makes me think and see things from another prospective. Now, it doesn’t mean I agree with everything he says, but I usually learn something new.

Last month his article was “What a Guy Wants.” You can imagine it caught my eye. I’m all the time wanting to infuse in my book what guys want, along with how they think and react to certain situations. Well, we know what all men want...but this article had to do with reading material.

One aspect I find in all of Mr. King’s articles is his respect for women writers. He tells us the publishing industry believes the male readership is shrinking, and because of that, editors are looking for the next breakout female writer. Then he points out “seven out of 10 New York Times hardcover fiction best sellers were by women” in the last week of August. (Click Here to See.) Our own Sherrilyn was Number 3 then; the week before she’d been Number 1.

Then he went on to say women objectify men, as men do women in fiction. I agree we can do that at times. He also says men want the same thing women do when they read, “escape and entertainment.” True.

He talks about how many recent male writers have included female secondary characters who are more than sex kittens a.k.a. James Bond’s BHB (Before Halle Berry) babes.

Okay, I know you’ve been waiting for me to tell you what men want in books. As Mr. King said, “...men like to imagine going to war against an army of bad guys with a Beretta, a blowtorch, and a submachine gun (grenades hung on the belt optional).” LOL! I love men.

Ooh-rah!

3 comments:

Diane Richmond said...

Karen, hope that you did well and are out of surgery reading this later today.

I agree that Mr. King has it correct about what men want but he failed to mention the "hot babe" sidekick, sporting a Daisy Dukes version of a paramilitary uniform, with an improbably tight shirt, with half of the buttons undone. Said sidekick would, of course, possess a Barbie Doll physique and wear full makeup and perfect shoulder length hair into battle.

Come to think of it, I'd love to play Barbie if I was going to battle with the man he describes as long as he had the requisite six pack abs, shirt undone and he was trained ala James Bond.

Carla Swafford said...

Actually he sorta did. Here's the link to the article.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20225323,00.html

True. If I had a body and looks like a Barbie, the guy better be might fine...Hugh Jackman fine...Troy's Brad Pitt fine...Fast & the Furious's Vin Diesel fine.

Check out Laura's blog about a Barbie... http://suspensenet.blogspot.com/

Christine said...

I loved this blog. It made me chuckle because it is so true. Actually, I would just like the almost barbie figure and would skip the man part altogether just to find my bellybutton again.