Wednesday, October 08, 2008

That gives me an idea

Most of my book ideas develop from ordinary events. Take for instance this morning when someone began frantically knocking on my door at 7:00 am. Frantically! Our front door has a window so I quickly spotted my neighbor who needed a cat carrier for an injured cat she found this morning and planned to take to Emergency. But that got me thinking...what if I didn’t have a window on my front door? Would I open the door if someone frantically began knocking at 7:00 am? What if I heard a young girl’s voice asking for help? What if I heard an adult man’s voice asking to use the phone? Do I open the door? Do I yell through the door? Do I call the police?

One knock and my mind went into overdrive. On a good writing day, two hours after that knock I may have mapped out a book.

Where do you get your ideas? Song lyrics? Dreams?

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Awesome, Karen! I love it!

One thing that sets writers apart from the rest of the universe is that we are, at heart, observers. Some might even argue that we're voyeurs! But we see and hear ordinary occurrences in a different way than everyone else. I myself keep a notebook and computer file of story ideas -- 99% are situations I've witnessed or read about that made me think "Hey, there's a story in that!"

Carla Swafford said...

Songs. And other stories that didn't end correctly (read happy), or had a good hook and I think, what if it went this way?

Christy Reece said...

Story ideas surround us. I think that's one of the most enjoyable things about being a writer. We can see opportunity and promise in everything.

This evening I took a walk with one of my girls. The breeze was absolutely perfect. Night was calm, only the sounds of crickets and a dog barking in the distance. I took a deep breath of fresh air and then suddenly...

LOL. Yeah, I know, that's weak. This is Friday and I'm fried. My point is, stories are everywhere and it's our duty and our joy to write them.

M.V.Freeman said...

Like you Karen, it just takes a moment--and a story idea evolves.

Many of my best ideas start as dreams...weird, but true. :)