Thursday, October 16, 2008

Marketing Monster

How are you at marketing what you write?

When I first started writing I didn't consider marketing myself or my work. I had a romantic's view of the creative process. A talented soul (me, I hoped), would be sitting at her scarred desk (probably antique, 18th century, no doubt), toiling by fading candle light over the next great novel. Spinning this wonderful story would provide fulfillment, enrichment and great satisfaction to my creative sensibilities. I didn't once consider how it would find its way to the published realm.

Enter, Romance Magicians and reality. Now, I realize that I must work to get my manuscriptive published. Yikes!! Where did the romance go?

Recently, I went to the M & M conference. It was a great experience but I realized that I had not looked at it as a marketing opportunity. Of the three of us who went, only Carla was poised from the get go to market herself and her book. She talked to everyone she knew (and some she didn't) introducing herself to them and networking. I have to tell you that I was impressed and a bit fatigued. She never quit. Finally, it spurred me to action. I forced myself to get into the swing of things. I saw the direct result of this networking when we made contact with Gannon Carr of RomanceNovel.TV--it works. We met an interesting lady who is coming to see our chapter in action at our Reader's Luncheon.

Now, I am more aware of self promotion. I look to see how others have used it in this industry. Yesterday, I ran across a website that impressed me. Check out: www.doreenorion.com. On this website she promotes her book, Queen of the Road. It is a funny, clever website and it made me purchase the book as a birthday present for my sister. I guess her site did what it was supposed to do.

I am now a believer. Are you living up to your marketing potential?

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! And I thought I was just having fun. Which I was. It's a blast to see people you know and to meet new people.

Actually, Diane, I saw you do a little of it in Shreveport too.

Crystal-Rain Love said...

I can't afford to live up to my marketing potential. I can't wait to get my tax refund this January so I can get a website, join RWA and my local chapters. Then I'll have to make sure to put aside gas money and vacation time for author signings... Right now, I'm just milking Myspace for all it's worth.

Doreen Orion said...

Diane,

Thanks so much for the mention!

Feel free to email me through my website with your sister's name and an address for you, and I'll be happy to send you a signed bookplate for the book you bought.
(Offer good for any of your readers, as well.)