Friday, October 10, 2008

An Interesting Week

If anyone read my comment on Karen's blog, then you'll know my mind is a bit weary this week. So beware, the following blog is a bit of a ramble.

It seems weeks go by and there's relative quiet. Nothing going on but my self-imposed goals. And then, it all starts coming together.

Here's what's been going on in the last few weeks. I received final approval on my back cover copy. I'm very excited about this, not only because I can add them to my website as the 'official' blurbs, but mostly because when I read them, I think, wow, they sound like the kind of books I'd want to read. Guess that's a good thing...huh?

All three of my books are up for pre-order. Seeing my name on websites like Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Borders was a very 'squee' kind of moment. The release date for the first one is four days before my birthday. The release date for the second one is four days before my husband's birthday. I think I already know what we're getting each other for our birthdays. The third book's release date is June 23. Anybody got a birthday close to that?

Last Wednesday afternoon I received line and copy edits for my first book. I'll admit, I was scared. I'd never done this before and as I flipped through the pages, the task seemed insurmountable. Thanks to my friend, the ever wonderful, Jennifer Echols, who calmed me and told me about my dictionary with edit/proof-reader marks, I tore into it. Over the next five days, I read through my entire manuscript about six to seven times. And though I was tired and bleary-eyed, I could really see how much better the manuscript was and am happy to have had that experience.

On Tuesday, I received mock ups for my covers. It was a very surreal feeling to see my name on the cover of a book. Another BIG 'squee' moment. I loved almost everything about them. My agent and I talked with my editor and we all agreed on some changes. I've been told that new ones are on the way. Can't wait!

Today, I spent hours reviewing my new website with my web designer. Thanks to the multi-talented Carla Swafford, who has helped me tremendously in so many ways, not least by putting up my very first site, which I still love, I felt much better informed to talk about what I wanted and what I liked. It will be weeks before it will be up, but I'm excited about the look of it.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, other than to say the last few weeks have been busy, but enjoyable. Line and copy edits are coming in a couple of weeks for my second book and in the meantime, my editor has asked me to fix a few things on my third book. So, it's all coming together and even though each new event is somewhat scary and new, I'm loving every minute of it.

10 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

You know, the last part of the last sentence says it all. You should be loving it. You've worked very hard to get there. And I can't wait to see the covers. ANd even more important, I can't wait to read my autographed copy of your book!

JoAnn said...

Oh, Christy! This is so exciting! Thanks for sharing these "squee" moments with us.

I was going to say my birthday is two weeks after June 23 and that you could give ME your book as present, but then I thought "Who am I kidding? I don't want to wait two weeks for Christy's book!!"

So never mind. I'll buy my own copy! :-)

Christy Reece said...

Thank you, Carla! And I can't wait to sign that book for you. Since you've already read it once, I appreciate you wanting to read it again. Now that's a true friend!

Christy Reece said...

JoAnn, you know me, I'll share all of my "squee" moments. Just as all of you will hopefully continue to share yours with me. Love others "squee" moments almost...almost as much as my own!

Thanks for not wanting to wait two weeks to read my book. Now if I could only come up with a few thousand more who feel the same way!

Karen Beeching said...

Thanks for sharing, Christy. I love reading posts like these. And count me in for not waiting two weeks to read!

M.V.Freeman said...

Christy,
I must stay I live vicrously through others, and your triumph I am enjoying greatly.

I hope there are many more great things in your future!

Christy Reece said...

Thanks Karen and Mary!

Don't know what I'd do without my Southern Magic family!

Naima said...

Christy,
I loved this blog because it gives me hope that one day I will be able to enjoy the same "squee" moments and share them with all of you! Congratulations and enjoy every moment of this journey! Oh, by the way, my birthday is June 24th...a day after the third book is released!

Christy Reece said...

Naima, thanks so much. With your birthday so close, you've got an autographed copy of RUN TO ME coming to you!

Diane Richmond said...

You deserve this. I hope that you enjoy these "squee" moments to their fullest.

Congratulations!