Sunday, October 19, 2008

I'm Late and I'm Spiraling!

First, I have to say a big I'M SORRY! Yesterday was my day to post, and I totally dropped the ball. I was in Tuscaloosa all day at the Alabama football game and when I got home we celebrated my birthday. I'm so sorry, though!

I thought when I actually finished writing my book, my life would start to feel more normal again, but after the last two weeks I have come to the conclusion that perhaps my life is just crazy! I stay up until 12:30 every night making edits and checking facts, and working on my query letter and synopsis. I think I have realized that if I am really dedicated to getting published and writing this just has to be how my life is. The scary part is I love it. I am thriving on the craziness even though at moments I feel like I am in a whirlwind.

To add to everything I am trying to juggle, I recently discovered an RWA group just for historical writers and that linked me to a historical chat group which put me in touch with my new critique group, something I desperately needed. Needless to say though, I now have to read through about fifty e-mails a day and this takes time of which I have precious little. I now am trying to edit my own chapter, work on my synopsis, research potential agents, and critique and edit other people's work. But I would not change a thing.

I do wonder is it just me or do we all do this to ourselves? Do you think all great writers, painters, actors etc. find it hard not to completely emerge themselves in their craft?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, yeah. I know exactly how you feel. I would imagine it's like jumping out of airplane. You're scared to death you made a mistake, but the first few minutes of falling with the wind blow in your face, hair and ears are awesome. Then when the ground gets closer you begin to worry, "What if my chute doesn't open?" and then it does and you drift to ground, roll and stand. WOW! What a wonderful experience! Can I do it again?

That's writing and then finishing a book. All the other stuff is only as important as you want to make it. But you accomplished greatness so many wished they could and never will.

Carla Swafford said...

OH! Happy belated birthday!!!