Thursday, October 02, 2008

I'm Finished Now What?

After almost two years of writing and researching I finished my latest book last week. I felt such a sense of accomplishment and I was really proud of myself for having completed this book, which I feel is so much better than the last one. After I finished, I drank a bottle of champagne with my husband then I laid out a plan. First, I wanted to get the book edited for grammatical errors by a good friend of mine who is a grammar and history whiz. Check - I have done this. Then, I enlisted three friends who love historical romances to read the book and tell me what they think of the plot and characters. Check - I have also completed this task.

The rest of my plan had to do with me. I was going to read a hard copy of my book last week and this week and then do the edits, so I could start sending out the query by this coming Monday. I am now only 60 pages into my edits. I have put everything before my book this week and I really think I'm scared. I'm terrified to send out yet another book and get no results. I have put so much time, love, and energy into this novel. What if I have no positive responses? I thought I had developed a thick skin, but now I'm wondering if I can take another round of rejections. How am I supposed to write the next book if this one sits on the shelf with the other one? When do I say enough is enough and stop torturing myself and my family? I am going to roll up my sleeves and do the corrections and send it out, but I really can feel my heart pounding in my chest at the thought of being rejected. I can't believe I thought I had become blase about rejection! Ha - I really fooled myself!

6 comments:

Crystal-Rain Love said...

I don't think we ever get blase about rejection (-:

Polish her up and send her out into the world, otherwise you'll never know!

Best of luck (and big congrats on finishing)!

Carla Swafford said...

Who's to say it will be rejected? You won't know until you try. :-) Rejection is hard no matter if it is your first or 75th. Ask Sherrilyn Kenyon, Stephen King, and so many other A list authors.

By the way, congratulations on finishing another book. There are lots of people who have never gotten as far as you have. It something worthy to celebrate for sure.

Christy Reece said...

Julie, first of all, huge congratulations for finishing! That's an accomplishment so many people never get to feel. I'm glad you took time to celebrate. That's extremely important.

Sounds like you definitely have a plan and are moving forward. Don't let fear stop you! It's normal and I hate to tell you, but it doesn't go away. At least, it hasn't for me. I think that's just part of being a writer. We pour our hearts and souls into our work and then invite people to take shots at it, hoping they'll love it as much as we do. But you can't not do it.

Take a deep breath and take the plunge of sending out queries. Yes, it's scary, but not following your dreams is even scarier.

Go for it!

Karen Beeching said...

I agree with all of the above. And good for you for finishing!!!

Congratulations and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Julie J. said...

Thanks so much everyone! It is so nice to have a great support group like all of you!

M.V.Freeman said...

Congrats on finishing!
(yes, I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual..LOL)