Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Almost-Best Thing

A few months ago, I made a 1-day-before-the-deadline decision to enter Georgia Romance Writer's Unpublished Maggie contest. To tell you the truth, I was feelin' pret-ty good about my work (should have been a red flag!) and was pret-ty confident I would final.

Of course I didn't.

But one of my best writing buddies did. And I want to tell you that when "success" (even if it's just a contest final) bypasses you and lands on a deserving friend, it is the almost-greatest feeling in the world. I was almost as nervous as she was during the day on Saturday. I almost poked myself in the eye with the mascara wand getting dolled up for the Maggie Announcement Reception. My heart almost jumped out of my chest when her category came up. I almost screamed when her name flashed up on the screen as 3rd place winner. I almost walked up there with her to accept her certificate.

Just ask Diane. She was there, too, and I daresay, was acting almost the same way.

Congratulations, Carla. You're the best in my book. No almost about it.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

JoAnn, you can make me cry (in a good way) faster than anything. You are almost poetic in your word choice. Thank you, my friend.

Now for the words I read to you and Diane that would've read to the conference if I'd won. Yes, I know I won 3rd place but they wouldn't let me speak. LOL!

I would like to thank my critique partners, JoAnn Weatherly, Diane Richmond, and Christy Reece. I would also like to thank Southern Magic, GRW, and RWA for giving me this opportunity to become a better writer.

Crystal-Rain Love said...

What a sweet post! And congratulations, Carla!