Thursday, September 04, 2008

Practicing Dialogue


Yesterday, when I was driving home from work, I had a small truck riding my car’s rear end, another car wanting to slide over to my lane while I was still in it and a car in front of me with the driver trying to find something on the passenger’s side. Thankfully not all of that happened at the same time. I’m sure for those who drive more than fifteen minutes from home experience that type of stuff all the time. The question I have is how do you handle it?

Me? I usually ignore most of it, but I do talk to the people. No, I don’t use sign language. I just entertain myself as I rarely listen to the radio anymore during those treks to work and back. My conversations go something like, “No, no, no. This is my lane and I don’t share.” Or “You driving like that give women a bad name. Sit up straight and watch where you’re going, girly.” Or “Hey, hey, hey!” (Think Fat Albert.) Now that last one was to a truckload of hay with bits and pieces slapping my car.

The talking to drivers as I go along is a family tradition. My father did it and I know my daughters do it. Do you talk to drivers? By the way, most of the time when a person gives me one of those hand signals showing their displeasure, I’ll either throw them a kiss or wave at them as if they’re my long lost friend. It usually freaks them out and makes them wonder where they know me. And will I tell their wife, mother, etc.? LOL!


And the car? No. I don't drive a Corvette, but I wish I did. Just added it for color.

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

I LOVE your response to the "hand signals." I'm definitely going to start doing that! A much healthier reaction than returning the gesture (which I don't do) or fuming for the rest of the day (which I DO do).

My dialogue with other drivers tends to be along the lines of "Come on, move it Jack! The light doesn't get any greener!"

Karen Beeching said...

I'm usually too busy talking to my hubby (we carpool) to even notice bad drivers unless they nearly cause an accident. Too much in my own world, I guess.

I would love to see you wave furiously at a hand gesture. I can totally picture you doing that, Carla. Ha!

Christy Reece said...

I talk to other drivers all the time, but how I talk to them depends on my mood. I just returned from across town and noticed I called several drivers sweetie and honey when I became irritated with them. Catch me on a bad day and well, let's just say it's not sweetie and honey!

Naima said...

I am also guilty of talking to drivers. Usually it's, "Are you kidding me?" or "Where do you get your license? Wally-World?" But, if I really want to start freaking people out, I should give them a thumb's up sign as I pass by them to let them know they're driving really well! LOL! I mean, who does that? I would personally like it if someone congratulated me if I made a smooth transition into another lane!

JoAnn said...

Naima, you are too funny! I love it. So now when I'm driving, I'll give a thumbs up and a smile to good drivers, and an enthusiastic wave and big grin to bad drivers! My entire world has just changed. Thanks, ladies!