Saturday, September 20, 2008

Oh! Grow Up!

Okay, okay, okay. I know I talk too much about General Hospital on this blog. But this week’s episodes had a couple threads to do with parents and how as an adult you’re still controlled by the way they treated you in the past.

Of course, the drama is over the top sometimes and I would love to say to the grown kids, “Grow up! Take responsibility for your own actions!” Then I would like to add, “Parents are human too!"

In many romances, the hero and/or heroine have issues left over from their own childhoods. Grown men with trust issues, especially in their relationship with women, are that way because their mom cheated on their dad or left them on their own. And the women may have grown up without a dad and have daddy issues (thus dating much older men) or their dad preferred a son over the daughter, so the daughter acts like a boy.

It's a wonderful way to add depth to a character. There are many ways to play it, but the most important part is to handle it in a subtle way. Who likes a whiner? Otherwise, your reader would be shouting the same things I did at the TV.

4 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

LOL! I agree Carla!
Thank goodness for re-writes...
I also have a tendency to snarl at the t.v. from time to time.

Carla Swafford said...

Accepting our parents as being human helps us grow so why not our characters too. It's fun watching our characters grow in a WIP.

Julie J. said...

It took me until my second book to realize my character should not be perfect! How boring. The fun and tears for the reader come from the characters flaws and lapses and the way the characters pick themselves back up again and learn from their mistakes.

Naima said...

Though I don't watch General Hospital, I do watch The Young and the Restless. And I think we probably shout the same things at the t.v.! I mean, one week the kids are 10 and the next week they're 18, but they still seem to have the same issues!! Their bodies grew, but their mentalities didn't! It's one of the very reasons I read romance. I love to see characters grow and evolve. I love seeing the journey of change. When I reach page 200 of a book they are not the same people they were on page 2. Unlike the soaps, I can come back after not watching for two weeks and feel like I just went out for a Coke a few minutes ago!!