Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Deadlines and humorous research

In my last post, I questioned setting deadline sand when they were constructive or harmful. I got some great advice from you guys and tried to really consider my life and set some constructive deadlines. My goal was to write ten pages a day. I'm proud to say I have met that goal every day but one, which I purposely gave myself off for down time. I felt like my characters needed a break from me and me from them. My husband joked tonight that if I had set this goal three months ago, I could have written a novel the length of Anna Karenina by now!

As I have been working to meet my page goal, I am constantly researching so my book will be historically accurate. I write historical romances. Last week, I had a particular scene where my hero learns his new wife is in all probability the spy he has been searching for who murdered his father. Needless to say, my hero is in a rage. I use profanity VERY sparingly in my books because I usually feel there is a better way to say it, but this time my hero just had to call his wife a "bitch." I hope I haven't offended anyone by writing this here.

Anyway, I was not sure when this word took on the negative connotation it carries today, so I had to do a little research. Sure enough, in 1400 men started using this word to describe females they thought were lying, unscrupulous and deceitful. This did not surprise me. What caught me off guard was a statement found on Widipedia. According to Wikipedia, "Since the 1980s, the term "bitch" became more and more accepted and less offensive. After the word was widely used between rivals Krystle and Alexis on the drama Dynasty." This was a bit of information I never expected which sent me laughing for quite awhile. My question is this: what is the most unexpected information you have ever uncovered while researching for a book.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

In my current book, I had decided I wanted the hero's name to be Thorn. He's a warlock and it turns out Thorn is a magic rune and so much of the meaning ties in with my story. And I just thought the name was cool, never knowing it would be perfect.

Julie J. said...

That's a great name, Carla. I love it when my reserch uncovers something else that really strengthens the story.