Friday, August 15, 2008

Why Do Synopsis Make Me Crazy?

Why is it I can write a four hundred page novel with a modest degree of ease, but writing the accompanying synopsis causes me enormous pain? It keeps me up at night. Each word is excruciating, and I have yet to be thrilled with the finished product. I know it's not just me. I have seen countless sights titled "Conquering the Dreaded Synopsis", "Why Writer's Hate Synopsis", etc. You get the picture.

I decided to try something different before completing my current book. I wrote the query before I was done and then started working on the synopsis. The query came to me much easier this time around, but that darn synopsis is still causing me major grief. I have been working on it for two weeks now. I wrote two paragraphs on the plane today, but do I don't love them the way I love my stories when I'm finished. Why can't I seem to wrap my mind around the synopsis? What's the best synopsis you have ever written or read and what made you love it?

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

I don't think anybody really knows how to write a synopsis! It's an unsolvable mystery; an unattainable goal! LOL!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that each word is excrutiating. Part of it is that you're condensing a hundred-thousand word story into a few thousand. The only thing I can offer is that for romance, focus on the emotional journey the hero and heroine make. Somehow, for me, that makes it a little easier to write.

Good luck and take comfort in knowing you're not alone!

Carla Swafford said...

I'm finding if I make note of the hero's and heroine's GMC in each chapter, I can write the synopsis. Now I'm not saying the synopsis is good, but it helps me get it started.

Naima said...

Hi, Julie!
AAAARRRGGHHH!!!
Does that pretty much convey how I feel about the synopsis? For me, it's the hardest thing to write, because you've poured everything into the 300 pages of this beautiful manuscript and now have to condense it to a bloodless 2 pages!! I've written two of them and how I did it was going through the manuscript chapter by chapter. For each chapter I wrote 1 to 2 sentences that captured the main emotion, action, purpose of that chapter. Then, I put it all together and reworked and reworked it. It's a good place to start.