Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thirty is the New Twenty...Puh-lease!!

What the heck is going on??

New Kids on the Block (New Men on the Block by now!) are reuniting, "Dirty Dancing" celebrates its 20th anniversary and I have grey hairs in places hair dye should never venture. Yeah, so by now you've probably guessed where I'm going with this...

I'm getting old!

Now you may look at my long, luxurious locks, sparkling brown eyes and sinfully curvaceous figure (hee! hee! hee!) and think, No way! But, yes way! The awful truth is the locks are greying, the eyes need contacts and the figure...well, a girdle's a girl's best friend...

But, there are other signs of my advanced aging. For instance...

...I watch New Kids on the Block's new video and still argue with friends over who's the cutest (It's Donnie and that's final!).

...The JC Penny commercial based on "The Breakfast Club" just makes me mad every time I see it because not one of those kids even know who Judd Nelson or Ally Sheedy are!

...I'm positively ecstatic that Robert Downey, Jr. had a hit with "Iron Man" so it finally replaces that image from "Less Than Zero". **shudder**

...I remember the Simpsons on the "Tracey Ullman Show"...I remember the "Tracey Ullman Show".

...Someone calls me "ma'am" and I crane my head over my shoulder asking, "Mom?"

...I can list all of Madonna's transformations and have personally experienced at least 3 of them (I plead the fifth on the cone-shaped bra!).

...Easy Bake oven is labelled a "classic" and I remember when it was all the rage!

...My feelings are hurt because I'm NOT carded!

...I snatch up a new release by Johanna Lindsey, but quickly realize it's not new, it just has a new cover...but I remember the original one with Fabio.

...I know the dance routine to Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield".

Fair warning, if anyone identified with at least three of these, just throw your cane in the air and wave it like you just don't care...Okay, somebody please, stop me...

3 comments:

Karen Beeching said...

I identified with all of them! Agh!

Well, aging is great though. There have been times I never thought I'd get this far, and let's face it, the alternative to aging is gloomy.

Too funny, Naima!

SaturnMoonie said...

Such a funny post, I identified with a few, but only because I'm an 80's freak (and 80's baby). And come on now, who DOESN'T know the dance routine to "Love is a Battlefield"? I'll take the time now to brag that I've got Pat Benatar tickets for this Sunday (whoo hoo)

But seriously, I don't think getting old is bad. You're only as old as you feel, and think of all the things that you wanted to do that you couldn't because you were too young. Well now you can do them, and you'll appreciate them more. :)

Naima said...

You may...just may have convinced me. But, if my eight year old son points out a grey hair one more time...well, no promises to his immediate health!! LOL!