Sunday, August 17, 2008

No distractions, please!

Day after tomorrow, I leave for a ten-day visit to one of the most fascinating places on earth -- Ireland. My only two goals for the trip? To see my daughter dance and to write. I'm hoping that because I will be alone during the day while she's working, I can go exploring and "fill my well." She lives in Cashel, a small town in County Tipperary overflowing with history. The centerpiece of the town is a spectacular group of ruins known as the Rock of Cashel. Parts of it date back to the 5th Century. I've never been inclined to write historical, but I'm thinking that's about to change.

My biggest fear for this trip? That I'll waste it. That I'll get home with lovely memories of time with my daughter, but nothing to write about. How can that even be possible? I've posted a few photos of the Rock of Cashel. I've been looking at them over and over, trying to prepare myself. But I know distractions can happen. How can I avoid them, stay focussed, and get the most out of this trip? I would love to hear your suggestions!




8 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Have a good time, JoAnn. We'll miss you but rather be with you in Ireland. LOL!

Christy Reece said...

JoAnn, have a great time. I so envy you. Ireland is second on my top ten places to visit. Scotland being number one.

Put a small notepad and pen in your purse. That way it won't be too cumbersome. Jot down impressions of each place you visit. Make a vow to yourself to write at least fifteen minutes before you go to bed each night.

But more than anything, have a wonderful time!

Karen Beeching said...

Have fun, JoAnn! Digital camera and notepad ... you'll be ready!

Be safe.

Julie J. said...

Have fun, JoAnn. I have always wanted to go to Ireland. I would take a notepad and write when the mood hits you. If it doesn't hit you during the day take 30 minutes at night and jot down ideas, description and history you have learned.

JoAnn said...

Thanks, everyone. These are all great suggestions. I had planned to keep a notebook with me, but making myself write every night is a great idea. I bought a new digital camera, and unfortunately have not taken the time to get familiar with it. But I have a 6-hour layover in Atlanta on Tuesday, so I figure that's a good time to learn about it! :-)

Nannette said...

OMG - can I stow away in your luggage? I've never really wanted to travel outside the US EXCEPT for Ireland! I would also take a mini digital recorder to record my inspirations since (for me) they come faster than I can write. Also to record notes about the pictures taken so specifics are not lost in my brain. Have a wonderful time!

Nannette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naima said...

Hi, JoAnn!
You'll probably read this when you come back since I'm waaaay too late. But, maybe you'll read it in God's Country! While I was there, I had a notebook with me at all times. And, actually, it was over there that I came up with the idea of adding the whole "mother" conflict to my next WIP! (You remember the one we discussed at the Plot Party?) Even though it had nothing to do with Ireland, it's just such an inspirational place, but of course you know that! Take lots of pictures and whenever and wherever you are when an idea comes, jot it down! Also, I would suggest during your sight-seeing, sit somewhere really, really beautiful and write. Let your surroundings be your inspiration. I just know you're going to come back fired up!!