Tuesday, August 05, 2008

My Cousin Vinny

While on vacation a couple weeks ago, I watched MY COUSIN VINNY twice, the beginning one day and the ending on the next. I’ve watched it so many times over the years, watching it again gave me the chance to break down different aspects of the story.

Most everyone has seen it at least once. So I won’t go into too many details. I saw a lot of the Hero’s Journey in it. When Vinny and his fiancée, Lisa, show up in town, you see them arguing (their “normal” world and certainly a good trait for any trial lawyer) about their Cadillac’s wheels probably have mud in them (Alabama’s red clay causes problems for Vinny again later plus gives Lisa a chance to show she knows cars), and coming to terms with grits (a different world and Vinny decides he likes them).
One of my favorite scenes is when they argue over the drip in the faucet. After hearing Lisa give a long account of how sure she was she’d turned off the faucet, Vinny asks, “Dead on balls accurate?”

“It’s an industry term,” Lisa stares him down.

“I guess the F-----g thing is broken.” And then they kiss.

You didn’t know MY COUSIN VINNY was a romance, did ya?

Think about it, Lisa wants to get married. Vinny has told her not until he’s won his first case, but he wants to win it on his own and she wants to help. Of course, we all know he finally accepts her help after she's forced into being treated as a hostile witness.

Vinny asks, “Your Honor, may I have permission to treat Ms. Vito as a hostile witness?”

“You think I’m hostile now, wait ‘til you see me tonight.” Lisa glares at Vinnie and then turns away.

The judge asks, “Do you two know each other?”

“Yeah, she’s my fiancée,” Vinny said in frustration.

“Well, that would certainly explain the hostility,” the judge in understanding.

The dialogue (as you see in the examples above) was wonderful, but watching Marisa Tomei’s expressions as she played a knowledgeable mechanic/out-of-work hairdresser explained why she won an Oscar for the part.

I could go on and on about the different plot points, the dark moments and how nice they were tied together at the end, but the blog is long enough.

So tell me your favorite part of the movie. For more of the dialogue, click here.

9 comments:

JoAnn said...

Hmmm. I must be the only person in the world who hasn't seen it! LOL! I will definitely put it on my Neflix list. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

The language was a little blue, but the characters were endearing.

Nannette said...

I love this movie too - my favorite part is when she says "my biological clock is ticking!"

Nannette

Karen Beeching said...

I remember watching this movie a long time ago and liking it, but I couldn't tell you a single scene in it now. How old is this movie? Or is it me?

Carla Swafford said...

Just a few years ago, 1992. Now I've shown my age. LOL!

Christy Reece said...

Carla, I love that movie! Have seen it at least a dozen times and still get excited when I see it coming on tv. My favorite part is when Vinnie is going deer hunting and wonders if the leather pants and leather jacket he's wearing is okay to hunt a deer. Lisa, very bluntly, tells him what she thinks.

And yes, though many people might miss it, it is a romantic comedy.

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! Oh, that scene is on the link. Too funny! Sometimes Vinny acted more like a girl than Lisa did.

Julie J. said...

My favorite scene is when Vinny argues with the judge in court about what he is wearing and then tries to find something appropreate to wear!

Carla Swafford said...

Hey, Vinny's on TV now!!! LOL!