Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Downright Ugly

I approached my first national conference after my sale with great enthusiasm and a small amount of trepidation. In most cases, it exceeded my expectations. In a few, well, let’s just say I didn’t anticipate or plan for unexpected events. Here’s a breakdown:

The Good (actually wonderful):

Met my editor for the first time and had a wonderful visit. She’s lovely, bright and talented and I’m thrilled to have her as my editor.

Met with my incredible agent again. I’m so fortunate to have her on my side.

Went to my first industry party and met some incredible authors who were also incredibly nice too.

Went to my first publisher party and met several Ballantine professionals. This publishing giant continues to amaze me with their kindness and professionalism.

At the publisher’s party, I met some of my all time favorite authors and some new favorites. Yes, I was star-struck.

Went to some interesting and informative workshops. My personal favorite, presented by Save the Cat author Blake Snyder, was funny and informative. Bought his book and can’t wait to read it.

Got to see several old friends I hadn’t seen in a couple of years. Met many new ones I hope to see again next year.

A dear friend of mine who lives in the San Francisco area took a day off from work and took us to Napa Valley. It was gorgeous and the wine tasting delightful. And I ate a piece of chocolate in a little town called St. Helena that had to be the most divine thing I’ve ever tasted.

The day after nationals, we jumped on a cable car and toured Fisherman’s Wharf. Had some yummy crab and a hot fudge sundae. Got to see the sea lions and took lots of great pictures.

The Bad (renamed aggravating):

On the way to my first publisher’s party, our taxi had a wreck. Got bruised up a bit. Positive spin…I was sharing the taxi with another author I’d just met. She was so kind and sweet, hailed us another cab and we were on our way.

Going home, our flight to Chicago got canceled. After standing in five different lines at two separate airlines, we ended up spending twelve hours in the San Francisco airport before flying the red-eye to Charlotte and then back to Birmingham. Positive spin…I got home safely.

We got pulled out of security at the airport for secondary screening. Since it was the beginning of my trip home and I wasn’t too exhausted, it was an interesting procedure and gives me information for a future book. However, I have to admit the screener’s politeness left much to be desired. Positive spin…they let me go!

The Ugly (renamed excruciating):

The heels I bought last year have suddenly become too big. After plugging them with all sorts of stuff to keep them on my feet, they still hurt! I have decided these are demon shoes and need to be burned! Positive spin…I’m waiting until I get very angry about something and then I’m burning the torture devices!

I’ve been back two days and have some sort of nasty cold. Yuck! Positive spin…it’s just a cold.

As you can see, the good far outweighs the bad and ugly. All in all, it was a wonderful conference and I’m already looking forward to next year!

6 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

From what I read about San Francisco, except for New York, that must've been one of the best places to go as a first time author.

Congratulations again!

JoAnn said...

Sorry you came home with a cold, Christy. But it does sound like you had a wonderful conference (in spite of Agony Shoes, traffic accidents, and canceled flights!)

Julie J. said...

Sounds like a great conference. I can't wait to go to my first one.

Christy Reece said...

Thanks, ladies. Yes, it was a wonderful conference and San Francisco is a great place to visit. I will admit that, so far, New York is still my all time favorite place for a conference. Probably because it was my very first one and I just love that city.

I hope everyone can go to DC next year!

Karen Beeching said...

Sounds like a great trip (except the shoes and accident--so glad you weren't seriously hurt!).

Naima said...

Hi, Christy!
The "Good" sounds absolutely wonderful and I'm so glad the conference went so well! And, the "Bad" and the "Ugly", well, they make GREAT story material!! Just think having those mishaps with...oh, I don't know, off the top of my head...Vin Diesel!!

P.S.-I'm glad you came through okay with the taxi accident!