Friday, August 29, 2008

Escape The Written Word

Okay, I admit it. The title of this blog is a tease. To be more accurate, it should read: "Writing and Blogging to Escape."

That is what I have been doing since I came back from my nephew's funeral. While there, I was the support system for my little sister. Although it was a sad occasion, we bonded like never before. I was able to see her new home so I can now picture her there when we talk. That makes it easier to picture her over the phone lines.

I was exhausted both mentally and physically when I came back home. My normal escape is to read. That didn't work this time. I ambled around the house, trying to get back in a routine that I really didn't care too much about. Nothing seemed to work. No amount of sleep, reading or talk was able to snap me out of the doldrums. Then, I looked at the calendar and realized that it was only a little over six weeks until I am going to be attending a writer's conference. Panic set in. I went back to my work in progress out of sheer desperation, not expecting any great miracles.

Boy, was I wrong. Within the first few minutes I found that I was transported to another setting and a different life and time. It was wonderful! Needless to say, I head back there often. I have written more this week than in the last two months. Even this blog was a nice diversion. Usually I agonize about what I am going to say. Today I just say "thanks". Thank you for making a schedule, Carla. I felt I had to fulfill my responsibilities. Thank you to all of you other bloggers who inspire, amuse and make me realize that we all have the same likes, insecurities and goals. Most of all, thank you for the power of the written word. It can transport the writer, as well as the reader, to a better place.

5 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm happy the blog schedule came in handy. And I'm very happy you got back to writing! Go, girl!

Karen Beeching said...

Writing saved me while surviving a physically and verbally abusive first marriage. I can honestly say I don't know if I would have made it through those horrible years without that outlet. So, I completely understand, Diane, and I'm glad it's working for you as well during this trying time for you.

Hugs!

JoAnn said...

I, too, was saved by my writing during a difficult time. I took my laptop to the hospital every day when my mother was in intensive care just before she died. She was unresponsive, so I would sit beside her bed and talk to her and hold her hand until then tears stopped. Then I would write. That was my routine for two months. I know my writing saved my sanity.

Glad you're back, Diane--and I'm glad you were able to make the trip to California. I know your sister would have been lost without you.

Julie J. said...

Writing gives me a seperate identity than just - stay at home mom - I would be lost without it.

Naima said...

Writing can be like a best friend, one who is always there and always ready to "listen". It's a release, a healer and sometimes, a savior. I'm so glad you found an outlet during this time. My prayers are with you and your family.