Saturday, July 12, 2008

A word by any other name....

I love words, the sound, the look, and meaning. It is what colors our writing and makes the reader feel what we are feeling.

I have read books where I can literally feel, taste, and see the story. I watch as the scene plays out before me and I barely register I am reading. That is the power of words.

I have a pastime (OK, when I'm bored, procrastinating...you know) where I write down my favorite words like "Puerile" or "Malicious"; to me those are delicious words. I used to have a friend that would send me emails and all we would do would list words we enjoyed.

So, share with me some of your favorite words and to make it more interesting tell me your favorite color word or words.

Here are a few of mine:
  • Scarlet
  • Obsidian
  • Indigo

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Puce --- Fun to say as you have to pucker your lips and guys always freak when you ask them to describe the color. ::snicker::

Scarlet --- I like that one too. Of course, I always imagine the GONE WITH THE WIND heroine.

Yellow --- More fun to say yeller. One of those Jeff Foxworthy words.

Lime and Grape -- Wonderful color words that look like the delicious fruits by the same names (ignore green seedless grapes).

Maroon -- Good double meaning color.

JoAnn said...

I like those, Carla! (And, Mary, all my favorite heroes have obsidian eyes.:-)


When I was a little girl, I used to love to get a box of 64 (was there an 80-something box too?) Crayola crayons because all the names of the colors were still in tact. These were my favorites: periwinkle, cornflower, orchid, rose, spring green. I also love violet and auburn.

MaryF said...

OOOH, I love those color names too.

Carla, I had to chuckle about "puce"..LOL

I have a few more... Sage, Magenta, Taupe

And Joann...obsidian is one of my favorite eye colors too...;-)

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, and lavender, aquamarine, jade, rose, ebony. When I read the word ebony, I always think of a jewel like onyx. That reminds me, emerald and amber.