Thursday, July 10, 2008

What's On Your Cover?

When I wrote my first book, I had in my mind exactly what the cover should be. The story was set in a small fictional town in south Alabama. A lake surrounded by weeping willows would be in the background. My heroine would be seated under one of the willows, staring pensively in the distance. Summer wildflowers would cover the ground and birds and butterflies would be fluttering around. Actually that sounds kind of boring now, but at that time, it sounded perfect.

In later books, I never gave the covers a thought. I was too concerned with finishing the darn things to think about what should go on the covers if I ever sold them.

Recently my editor asked me if I had any suggestions or ideas for my covers. I was thrilled to be asked. Ballantine always does a fantastic job, so whatever they choose, I know I'll be happy with, but to be asked was a treat. Problem was, I still had trouble coming up with ideas. I went to the bookstore and perused for hours. Some covers appealed to me, many didn't. I really couldn't define what worked and what didn't. I did send some suggestions, but I'm glad experts are working on this and not me. I just couldn't make up my mind.

How about you? Do you know what the cover of your current manuscript should be? Describe it for us!

8 comments:

MaryF said...

Oooh, fun topic! My WIP is underwater archaeologistss, so....lots of greens and blues, a dive boat, perhaps the hero and heroine floating in the water, facing each other, holding onto each other in the foreground.

Christy Reece said...

Mary, an underwater scene would be cool and very unusual. It would certainly get my attention.

MaryF said...

;) Now to finish the book, submit and SELL!!

Christy Reece said...

You can do it. Just don't give up, ever!

JoAnn said...

Well, my ms is category, so my choices are limited slightly. :-) But there is a scene in the book where the hero carrys the heroine from the shore of the lake out to the canoe so she won't get her injured foot wet. That's the cover I envision.

Christy, can you give us some hints as to what you suggested? When will you know?

Christy Reece said...

JoAnn, your cover sounds very romantic.

I ended up sending the title of about a dozen or so books that had covers I found attractive or eye catching. Since my stories are romantic suspense, I wanted that kind of feel, but they're also very emotional, so I wanted that too.

I'm just glad it's not up to me because I would never be able to make up my mind.

I'm not sure when they'll make a decision, but I'll send it to the loop when I can.

Julie J. said...

I'm still working on finishing my book, but I suppose I envision the cover be a large castle in the background with a crown somehow in the front of the picture, perhaps a castle sketched behind the crown.

Christy Reece said...

Julie, welcome to the blog!

Your cover sounds beautiful, almost magical.