Sunday, July 27, 2008

As a Man Thinks...

Proverbs 23:7 states "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he..."
Up until about a year ago, my favorite proverb was "Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing"...to which my husband would promptly counter with "Better to live on the roof than share the house with a nagging wife." He's such a kidder! At least, he'd better be...

But, earlier this year, Proverbs 23:7 struck a chord in me and it hasn't stopped singing since. Plainly put, it says that whatever a man believes himself to be, he is. So small, so simple...so profound. Think of it this way...have you ever met someone who at first glance is, umm, aesthetically-challenged? But, if you were to ask them, they would emphatically tell you that they are the finest thing walking and are just super fabulous. They have such confidence and belief in themselves that soon you begin to see what they do. You begin to believe that, yes, they are just about the cutest thing you've ever laid eyes on!

It's the same thing with being an unpublished writer. Or, rather, soon-to-be-published author. I am already a writer, but I believe in my heart that it is only a matter of time before I am a published writer. The amount of time? I don't know. It could be a tomorrow, next month, next year or even ten years from now. But, I am still soon-to-be-published. And while I wait for it to come to pass, I walk in that belief, preparing myself for when it eventually happens. I ready myself by setting deadlines and adhering to them; creating bookcovers for those as-of-yet published novels; meeting with and learning from other writers about technique, craftsmanship, business and promotion. One published author even said that while she waited for that call, she had her publicity shots taken in advance, so when it came, she would have the photos ready! It's a mindset, an attitude and a conviction that cannot be shaken no matter what the circumstances may look like.

"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he..." Some people would call this positive thinking. Some would label it optimism. Me, I simply call it what it is.

Faith.

5 comments:

MaryF said...

That and dogged determination.
But faith, keeps you standing upright when nothing is left to hold you up--especially in the writing world!
Keep on Writing Naima! :)

Carla Swafford said...

Have you ever met a person and just knew from the way they held themself, dressed (not expensive), and spoke that they were successful? And she/he might actually be the local Wal-Mart greeter - nothing wrong with that, just not what most people rate as successful.

Whenever I have an appointment with an editor or agent, I psych myself out by remembering I love meeting new people (or seeing a certain one again) and if I smile, they will smile back or believe I know something they don't. :-)

I know all of that wasn't the point you were making, but it's all part of it. It's believing in yourself. If you don't, no one else will.

Naima said...

That was the point I was making, Carla! Exactly!

Diane Richmond said...

Naima, I believe that we have to be our own strongest believer. Keep the faith Girl!

Julie J. said...

Naima,

This really struck a chord with me. I will keep the faith. When people ask me what I do I always say I am a stay at home mom. I never say I am a writer because I have yet to be published. From now on, I am going to say I am a writer. I am what I believe, and I know it's going to happen. Thanks!