Friday, June 06, 2008

Rambling panic

I have about a third of my rough draft done.

Now I have to get the pitch ready.

I was going to write a pithy little blog full of humor, but really, I 'am panicked. Why? Honestly; I'm a afraid of looking like a fool and of rejection.

Really; its not like I've had haven't had rejection. My first story was sent back with a "It has predictable ending." *sigh*

My first acceptance was an article for a Self Defense magazine...! And now; I've gotten two articles in The Pulse, a magazine put out by the Heart Center and I help edit (and get credit for it!).

Now its time to pitch a book. (For those of you who read my earlier post--I'm drinking a lot of tea...but lately I've added wine a time or two...)

For some reason, my normal fairly creative self has gone on vacation AT THE WRONG TIME. I keep writing and re-writing my pitch and what do I get.

Schlock.

In spite of schlock; I'll pitch. I'll let you know what happens; if I don't have a heart attack before then.

So; to help myself; I've let myself just express my anxiety on the screen. Tell me how you dealt with your anxiety and the good and the bad....

4 comments:

Christy Reece said...

Mary, you'll do fine. Everyone's nervous, even sometimes the editor or agent. We're all human.

Just take a deep breath and smile, you'll do great and be so proud of yourself when it's done.

Oh, peppermint candy is great for a queasy stomach and it freshens breath too!

MaryF said...

LOL; that's just what I needed. I am actually focusing on the positive. I should never blog when I am tired...all the junk ends up on screen.

Diane Richmond said...

You know, Mary, I have found the editors to be really nice. If you tell them you are nervous they bend over backwards to help you and put you at ease. I always practice and re-practice my pitch, but then I get in there and just talk. I use the basic format of what I have written, but follow it loosely.

I know that you will do well.

JoAnn said...

One thing that helped me was to remind myself (over and over) "This is NOT my only chance. If I blow it, it doesn't mean I will never see this book published." Seemed to ease my anxiety. :-)

Good luck!